• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powder coat or paint

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a bumper made now and am wonder if I should have them powder coat it for 50 bucks or just paint it myself. I have access to a paint gun and everything I would need so it wouldn't be hard. Don't really want to do the work but I've heard the gripes with powder coating.

Personally, I'd no niether and instead spray it with the "bed liner" in a can. The finish won't get marred by small rocks hitting it and gives decent grip for a high-lift ir for crawing onto your bumper. As a second option, I'd paint it because you can easily touch it up if you take any paint off. To me, powder-coating a bumper seems like too much of an expense to do to a bumper. Let's face it, if you use your truck for wheeling, you're going to thunder into something and damage to finish, no matter what it is. So unless you've got yourself a trailer queen, go with a finish that can be easily touched up.

I third rustoleum, thats what I use on my skids when I have the urg to 'shine it up' a bit. If you get the urge for a quick clean up you can even get the stuff at a CVC pharmacy or Rite-aid. You could also do por-15 but you need to paint over it as por has no UV protection.

Back