• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical problem

BoogieDown

NAXJA Forum User
This one is driving me crazy, I just picked up another XJ, this one is an '88.
There is an electrical problem where the fan, turn signal lights stereo, dash lights go out, then mysteriously come back on. Fuses are fine, and I didn't see any shorts or broken wires any help is appreciated.

BoogieDown said:
This one is driving me crazy, I just picked up another XJ, this one is an '88.
There is an electrical problem where the fan, turn signal lights stereo, dash lights go out, then mysteriously come back on. Fuses are fine, and I didn't see any shorts or broken wires any help is appreciated.

what tranny?

reason i ask is because with a 5speed, the clutch master cylinder will drip fluid on the back of the fuse box. this will destroy the back of the fuse block and cause shorts that are not easily seen.

89xj said:
what tranny?

reason i ask is because with a 5speed, the clutch master cylinder will drip fluid on the back of the fuse box. this will destroy the back of the fuse block and cause shorts that are not easily seen.

It has an automatic

My guess are a combination of two things, a worn out ignition switch and a worn out headlight switch. The blinking dash board lights make me think it the head light switch, do you hear the circuit breaker kicking in and out?

The ignition switch is located about half way down the column and costs between $10 and $15 at any parts store. I am not talking the lock cylinder. Do a search on ignition switches and you will find lots of posts.

While you are at it replace the head light switch, it has a circuit breaker and can do what you are saying. If both are still the OEM parts they are due for replacement. I did mine a year ago, the ignition in my nice garage and the head light switch 10 days later in the parking lot of a parts store at 7 pm.

You will have the dash apart and it not much more effort to change the headlight switch if you are already doing the ignition switch.

If I had to guess one I'd say headlight switch but do both and remove all doubt, hate for you to have to change one of them 200 miles from home with no tools along.

I have been thinking about your problem and no one "switch" carries all that current. There is a common dashboard ground. It is a #12 black wire which attaches very close to where the driver's foot well lamp mounts. You may want to make sure it is attached.

When you talk of the radio going out are you talking the lights or the actually radio "turning off".

I would add the ground to the things to look at but think replacing the ignition switch and headlight switch do the trick. I go back and forth in my mind which one and can't decide, that why I still recommend both.

What you describe could be related to both items. Learn from my lesson that they want to be changed out at the same time and do both!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm inclined to think I have a loose ground somewhere, I'll be going down the road and the stereo, heater fan, dash lights and turn signal indicator (if on) will cut off. It occurs whether I'm still or moving. I'll look at all the ground wires and clea them up and re-ground to see if that works.

Back