• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what happned to the bolt in roll cage??

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Has there been any updates on the bolt in / together roll cage?
I have not seen any thing have I missed it? I dont remember who had it. They were testing it and kept saing they would have a sale price on it in a week.
Thanks

gixer said:
Has there been any updates on the bolt in / together roll cage?
I have not seen any thing have I missed it? I dont remember who had it. They were testing it and kept saing they would have a sale price on it in a week.
Thanks

LOL

hinkley

Glad you guys think its funny.
I don’t know who they are as posted in my original post. It was back in November. I think it was a shop out of the Carolinas.
There was a big debate over using bolt in or weld in cages.

OneTonXJ said:
Who was they, and how many years ago was this? :eyes:

It was.....

2offroad. I have seen it and to me it looks good. Very unabtrusive. Some say not worth it but I disagree. Anything to strengthen the unibody has got to help. Andy at the Carolina Rock Shop was building it I believe.

Here it is..... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14146&highlight=2offroad

I hope you guys trashing it does not discourage it being finished. I for one think its a nice idea. Its no worse than the sport cages for the TJ crowd....

Last edited:
wasn't it carolina rock shop? I don't he means X***Y. I remember the thread.and the debate was about safety -vs- ease of installation/ removal.

yeah that was the one.
I guess I will have to contact them to see what is up with it.
Thanks for link.

Ghost said:
2offroad. I have seen it and to me it looks good. Very unabtrusive. Some say not worth it but I disagree. Anything to strengthen the unibody has got to help. Andy at the Carolina Rock Shop was building it I believe.

Here it is..... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14146&highlight=2offroad

I hope you guys trashing it does not discourage it being finished. I for one think its a nice idea. Its no worse than the sport cages for the TJ crowd....

Andy at www.carolinarockshop.com built the bolt in cage for an XJ. I dont see why you guys bang on it. Whats so bad about it? If the Jeep rolls, the people inside will be better off with some sort of a cage vs nothing at all. What would you have, nothing or a bolt together cage? I believe that a cage should be welded together but some people dont want/need a fully welded and "racing sanctioned spec" cage.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Andy at www.carolinarockshop.com built the bolt in cage for an XJ. I dont see why you guys bang on it. Whats so bad about it? If the Jeep rolls, the people inside will be better off with some sort of a cage vs nothing at all. What would you have, nothing or a bolt together cage? I believe that a cage should be welded together but some people dont want/need a fully welded and "racing sanctioned spec" cage.

AARON

The point is: If you are gonna do it, then do it right. Having a cage is trouble enough. You might as well do it right and be done with it forever.

I was the sour grapes who raised some questions about the design of that cage. Andy got back to me and explained that some of my objections were due to the angle at which the pictures were taken. I won't say that ALL of my objections were satisfied, but most were.

And there's no question that even a bolt-in cage is significantly better than no cage at all if you feel you absolutely MUST roll over your Jeep.

Rusty does not have a cage its a hoop. CHeck out the link above and you can see that this one is cage not just one hoop.

Silver Bullet said:
I think Rusty's also offers a bolt in cage that consists of one hoop behind the front seats.

Silver Bullet

most who have seen it in person think it will work, i dropped the subject after the debate on NAXJA and have not had time to finish it and Andy has been booked up so it on the back burner. i will be in Tellico the weekend of march 20th if anybody wants to see if.

ps to hinkley i tought you was gone to wyoming. be gone and quiet. LOL

Last edited:
just to tickle the other side...

the sport is rock cralwing, meaning slow. the vast majority of rollovers in this sport occur at slow speeds. jeeps go over all the time, even several rolls, and the stock roof holds up fine... kinda.
in rock crawling, a stock roof does a perfectly good job of protecting the passengers. thats it... but what about the vehicle, insurance will total it unless your willing to cut off the roof and weld another one on. and totaling your vehicles nets you less $$$ that what its truely worth.
I honestly feel that internal cages should be left to the desert racers and other high speed recreation. not only to protect the ocupants but for wind resistance even.
but in rock crawling, we build rock rails to protect our rocker panels, skid plates to protect our quater panels, and control arm mounts. bumpers to protect in case we get into an accident, so that we are not the ones stuck waiting for a towtruck.
then why build a, internal cage just to protect occupants in a vehicle roll. what about the poor jeep?
a properly designed and built exo cage will not only stregthen the jeep, but it will protect the jeep AND the occupants in the event of a rollover. but the are not dificult to get past when getting in and out of your jeep.

An internal cage (more times than not), isn't built to protect the occupants. Is primary function is to stiffen/strengthen the unibody and extend it's life.

Don't depend on an external cage to protect your panels, ain't gonna happen. And exos only aren't very strong.

Rawbrown said:
just to tickle the other side...

the sport is rock cralwing, meaning slow. the vast majority of rollovers in this sport occur at slow speeds. jeeps go over all the time, even several rolls, and the stock roof holds up fine... kinda.
in rock crawling, a stock roof does a perfectly good job of protecting the passengers. thats it... but what about the vehicle, insurance will total it unless your willing to cut off the roof and weld another one on. and totaling your vehicles nets you less $$$ that what its truely worth.
I honestly feel that internal cages should be left to the desert racers and other high speed recreation. not only to protect the ocupants but for wind resistance even.
but in rock crawling, we build rock rails to protect our rocker panels, skid plates to protect our quater panels, and control arm mounts. bumpers to protect in case we get into an accident, so that we are not the ones stuck waiting for a towtruck.
then why build a, internal cage just to protect occupants in a vehicle roll. what about the poor jeep?
a properly designed and built exo cage will not only stregthen the jeep, but it will protect the jeep AND the occupants in the event of a rollover. but the are not dificult to get past when getting in and out of your jeep.

:popcorn: :party1:

My cage is obtrusive. I can't open my glove box all the way, the A pillar bars get in the way of my feet when I get in, there's a nasty B pillar blind spot on the driver's side, and since I mainly only go rock crawling I guess I don't need it. I'm cutting it out tomorrow.

Jes

The main reasion I want an exo is so my roof dosent cave in. I have seen XJ's that were just laid on their side and have a caved in roof, only way to fix that is to cut it off. For right now Im just going to build onehell of an exo cage, then maybe later on down the road when I recover from being broke I'll build an internal cage and tie the 2 together;) :D

Back