• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 rear axle

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey!

I have been offered a Dana 44 rear axle out of a 1975 IH Scout II. I know I need hubcentric wheel spacers to make it close to the width of the front D30, and I know this swap has been done before. I want to convert to disc brakes in the rear, can I use the ZJ disc brake parts I had planned on using on my D35? What about the U-joint size on the yoke on this axle compared to my D35? What about driveshaft lengths?, I have the stock NP242 in there with an AW4, 4.0L, I have seen this discussion before, but since the SEARCH didn't come up with an answer I want to ask you guys!

Thanks in advance!, good answers on tough questions are hard to get in Norway!

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

dana44 said:
Hey!

I have the same axle in mine. Try www.performancewheel.com for spacers. The company is "Performance Wheel and Tire", located here in Denver if that url is wrong. The D44 pinion is about 3/4" longer than the D35, but if you have a lift of greater than 3" and no SYE, it will just push your slip yoke back to close to stock. Standard u-joint, same as came stock with your D35. Regarding the ZJ discs, I don't know. I would think they would work, as others have been using them on D44's. I have the TSM disc conversion and would not recommend it, as the caddy caliper e-brake sucks. Also, due to the narrowness of the axle, you may need to use a lift block to clear the brake caliper on your discs - I'm running 4.5" and use a 3" full length addaleaf and a 1.5" block.

I'm still wondering if the ZJ disc setup would work? This axle has the 11" drums I guess, and they are more than adequate for my use, altough not as good as discs anyway. This is my daily driver that see some light offroad now and then.

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norwway

Back