• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 superflex aal owners report in

willysnut

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of getting the 3.5 superflex aal and would like to know how you guys like it and how it performs. I want to make sure that it doesnt sag fast or doesnt flex like crap.

Last edited:
I would upgrade to the full leaf packs. The AAL system will sag much sooner and not ride as good. Especially if your gonna wheel it. Think about it this way, that one leaf your adding is lifting and having to support an already sagging system. All XJ's have a certain level of this. Just installed this system (with full leaf packs) over the weekend on a friends XJ and it went really good. He is actually sitting 4" higher right now but it will settle to a solid 3.5". I know this because a different friend of mine installed his about 6 months ago. Like I said I know a few people that have used it but they all upgraded to the full leafs and they love it. I'm doing the same in 2 weeks only I'm getting a 4.5" kit with full leafs. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I second the full packs, especially considering the age of your original XJ springs. Do it right the first time and avoid the "I shoulda's".

I got 4.75" lift when I first installed the 6030 kit, and 2 months later I still am sittting 4.5" higher.

Xj Bill,Xj Bone, I just bought the RE6030 kit yesterday for my 2000. What year Xj did you do the install on? Was an SYE, T-case drop or shims required?
The more I read up on Jeep forums the more I am hearing that the newer Xj's usually have lot of vibes when lifted, so I'm trying to get full pepared before I attempt the install.

Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet said:
Xj Bill,Xj Bone, I just bought the RE6030 kit yesterday for my 2000. What year Xj did you do the install on? Was an SYE, T-case drop or shims required?
The more I read up on Jeep forums the more I am hearing that the newer Xj's usually have lot of vibes when lifted, so I'm trying to get full pepared before I attempt the install.

Silver Bullet

I'm in the same boat as you. From what I've read...with some shims (maybe 4*) and the SYE with new driveshaft, you will probably be ok. I don't think the TC drop will be needed, but I'm still confused.

We installed it on a 1994 XJ. The kit he got came with shims and a T-case lowering kit. After the install we took it for a ride and it did have a slight driveline vibration. He is going to get the RE SYE for it. You will also need an adjustable track bar. He is ordering one of those too. The front axle was noticeably kicked over to the driver side of the Jeep from being to short after the lift. There was a 1 1/2" differance from one side to the other.

For the time being, we cut his stock track bar in half and added 3/4" of an inch to it. We did this by taking a 1" inside diameter steel tube approx 6" long (split length wise because the trackbar is 1.01235" outside diameter) and you slide the cut pieces of the track bar into it leaving a 7/8" gap in the middle (the metal cutting blade took off an additional 1/8"). Last, the sleeve was welded in place. One thing you have to do that is very important is mark the track bar with a long line before you cut it so you can line it back up before you weld it. You don't want to accidentaly turn the cut piece. It will not function correctly if you do this.
It works out really slick for a temporary application.

They other one was a 98 XJ. He already had the adjustable track bar and an Advanced Adapters SYE for it and they were installed at the same time as the lift.

You won't regret going with RE. I installed the 6030 kit on my 96 XJ. I have a TC drop and 3* shims, and my vibes are REALLY minimal. Keep in mind that the 6030 advertises as 3.5", but 4+" is more likely (I'm currently at 4.5" :roll: )

You may want to upgrade to the JKS discos- I hear the RE ones suck!!

I also upgraded to the adjustable LCA's and added the adjustable trackbar. I figured that if I ever decide to go higher, I would have a good foundation to work from, and I won't have to re-buy LCA's..

One thing I need to do is to trim the shock platform in the front, because my LCA hits the edge of it when flexing, liniting my articulation. Hopefully this weekend. See http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461220

Either way you go, you're gonna love RE. Quality, quality, quality!!!!

Hey XJbone, did you get the RE adjustable LCA's? I got Rusty's LCA's and they have a bend in them so they don't hit the shock platform when flexing.
lca01.jpg

Silver Bullet, the LCA's that come in the RE kit will do the same thing XJBone is talking about. You can either cut the shock platform or get LCA's that don't hit it.

I agree with XJbone, the RE disco's do suck but they will work for the time being. I would definatley consider the JKS disco's. They are far easier to reattach than the RE ones.

Defiantely go for the full leaf packs. I went woth the AAL and the rear is sagging pretty bad. There's only a couple of inches from the top of my tire (31) to the bottom of my flare. I compares it with someone who had the 35 pack, and I am at least 1.5" lower in the rear. I'm now going to go for the 4.5" pack next Summer.

I did the 4.5 kit on wednesday night in my 96 with an aw4 definitly get the full packs due to the fact your whole suspension system will be new and it will ride alot better. I just spaced the t case and still ha ve some vibbbbes but I am going to try shimming it first due to lack of fundage.

The RE 6030 kit I bought came with fixed lower control arms and rear leaf packs, not the add a leaf. I had heard to many negative things from people who went with the AAL, most say they wish they spent more $$ and went witht the full packs so I just did that right off the bat. I also purchased the adjustable trac bar because RE said I "MIGHT" need one and alot of people I talked to reccomended the same thing. I also sprung for the extended front brake lne.

Silver Bullet

Hey SilverBullet,

Let me know if you need upper adjustable control arms to correct your front pinion angles, I do on my 2000.

Thanks, hope your goes better than mine, watch your driveline angles, buy a good angle finder asap.

Later

i have the aal lift and it flexes real good and it rides real good but theres one down fall the it skweaks soooooooo much but i don't have spring wraps on so thats probly waht it is....

2000 xj
3.5 re aal
32 10.50's
pre-runner bumper
with 4 hella 500's on the bumper
k&n filter
flowmaster

I've had Rusty's 3" AAL for about 14 months. No sag yet, rides and flexes good. I reccommend it. I know it's not the RE AAL, but it's a 3" AAL all the same.

If you're planning on going bigger in the future, get the AAL now. Why spend the extra money for the full pack when you're planning on replacing it in a year or two? If you're looking to stay at 3ish for the concievable future, get the full pack.

Back