• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Disconnect

Atom

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 SE has ABS that is not working- I dont really want to fix it. But the ABS pump keeps comming on and off. Does anyone know how to shut down the whole system? And is there any thing I use the pump for after I put it out of service? Thanks:confused:

Yours should be like my 1992 and yes it can be done. I removed the pump and hooked the ABS master to a 95 non ABS prop valve. Then pulled the fuse to the ABS in the relay box in the engine compartment.

If yours is like mine you should be fine

Regards
Chewy

Also the reason for the swap of the prop valve on mine was because the ABS unit only had 2 outputs to the pump. One was for the front brakes "combined" and one for the rear. The non ABS had 3 out puts , one each for the front brakes and one for the rear...... I tried using a simple T connector from Auto zone to split the front lines and it never balanced right. So i would reccomend using a non AbS prop valve so your not hunting down strange problems.....email or post more if you need help.....

Chew...been here done it.....bacca

Why fix it?

Hey guys thanks for the post's you all left. But I was looking for an easy fix! The 96 ABS system will automatically go back to working like a normal braking system if there is a problem- as mine seems to be doing. The ABS light is on in the dash and the pump still comes on occasionally, but other than that my brakes work fine. I really dont like the pump working but the easiest fix would be to just remove the ABS light bulb in the dash. In fact I dont like ABS but it would be easier to just pay the $75 to the dealer to have them tell me what sensor or part to replace to make it work. So after reading what it takes- my plan is to unplug the bulb! What do you guys think? Thanks for the info... Atom:confused:

Yours may be different, but that prop valve and the line size junctions are meant to work w/ a pump under pressure. Simply unplugging it would not be my choice....
The system "should" use an ABS prop valve w/ only 2 outputs into the pump which ups the pressure and splits out to 3 lines , one rear , 2 front.

running it w/ the pump off is fine for an emergency, but i would think there is going to be a loss or less effective braking. If you were to yank it and do a non abs from the ground up it would be better.

Look at the diagrams in an FSM , there is a lot going on in the pump and it is meant to be running....long term you may have issues.

Not to mention there may be some insurance / legal issues running around like this for a long period of time. If your in a bad accident and your insurance or the state does a recreation/investigation your screwed..... To disable a system like ABS and Airbags is an offense of some kind if i remember correctly, someone correct me if im wrong.

Im not trying to be all doom and gloom , just giving ya some food for thought

chewy

Back