• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR on 97 and up Vehicle

pperelman

NAXJA Forum User
I know it should be there....by manufacturer standards. I cannot find it. I know in older veh there is a tube runs from exhaust manifold to EGR , but I can't find one in my 98 XJ with 4.0L
Need help finding it!

This is an easy one - you don't have EGR. When XJ's went to OBD-I (1991MY) the can grind was changed to negate the need for the EGR valve, and it was deleted. Therefore, you don't have to worry about it. Forget it, it's not there.

That help? I know it's a bit odd, but you really don't have one (and I wish I didn't either, but I've got Renix XJ's and I can't delete them myself here in California, home of the Smog Nazis....)

5-90

HOW the HECK NOx is controlled on XJ then?

I just dont get it. FORD and GM ....they all have dreded EGR syst. Even 2003. Ford uses it for advancing timing!!!
How the heck do you control temp in combustion chamber and reduce NOx .....and that pinging/knocking sound XJ gets ofenly?!
Did my srvc today and got curiuos....let's find EGR (just for kicks)
but not a chance...nothing....Deamons....I thought...someone had forgotten to install one ...!!!
Of course it doesnt affect emiss test (have not had one yet) but how it is done w/o EGR syst !

In some ways, you can change the cam grind and therefore have a noticeable effect upon exhaust gas scavenging, which can accomplish much the same result as the EGR valve without using the equipment - it was actually deleted in 1991.

Also, it is worth noting that there is no AIR pump on the 4.0, and only a two-stage (I think) coverter is used with no air injection line. The 4.0 is really a clean-running engine, and the combustion chamber temperatures are further lowered by the low compression ratio (the HO runs 8.8:1, IIRC, while most production engines run up around 9.3-9.6:1.) This is also why the 4.0 does so well on any pump gas you can find.

You really don't need to worry about it, so stop! Since so many systems are not necessary on the I6, I am glad to not have to watch out for them and I don't have to worry about servicing or replacing them! Even when my EGR didn't work, on a 5-gas analysis my NOx were almost non-existant, and I only failed because the goofball started playing around under the hood (after I SPECIFICALLY ordered him not to!) So, that smog cost me an extra $175 that I hadn't planned on spending (think I'm going to let those bozos work on my truck? Huh?) and I had to replace something that is really as useful as the veriform appendix in H. Sapiens. Therefore, the EGR spends most of its life DX's on my XJ's...

5-90

Back