• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch

CUJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i am trying to test my ignition switch to see if it is in working order or not. I have a 91 limited XJ with a tilt steering wheel. I can't figure out how to get to the switch or hot wire the car. I either need a way to get to the switch without pulling the steering wheel or a way to hot wire the car.
Thanks

First off you do not need to pull the steering wheel to change the ignition switch, it mounted low on the column. You DO have to pull the steering wheel to change the lock cylinder.

This is what the ignition switch looks like: http://www.smpcorp.com/mycgi/ibg.asp?parts=US105

I had my igntion switch fail on me earlier this year. I could get it to start but no dash board power for stuff like the radio. I changed it and solved the problem.

My buddy recommends around 100K or 125K to just change out the ignition switch as routine maintenance.

Do a search there have been lots of posts on changing out the switch.

The key cylinder on the steering column is not the switch. The switch is farther down the steering column, with a bunch of wires going into it.

He's probably got the Chrysler version which IMHO holds up a hell of a lot better that the crappy GM one in the old XJ's.

Hawaiian Style said:
He's probably got the Chrysler version which IMHO holds up a hell of a lot better that the crappy GM one in the old XJ's.

He said he has a '91. The Chrysler steering column was introduced in 1995.

ignition switch

The switch is located bout midway between the steering wheel and the floor board.The dimmer switch and the ignition switch are in the same bracket.Should be 4 screws holding the bracket to the top of the column.The lower half of the dash will have to be removed,to be able to acess the switch.4 bolts holding steering column up have to be removed,this allows the column to drop down.Ignition switch and dimmer can be adjusted up or down .There is a small rod in the ignition switch that will only fit one way,not sure if new switch will have one so DO NOT lose the rod.Too much adjustment and the rod will bind and not work properly,and the dimmer switch will be on hi beams all the time.
It's not that hard,shouldn't have to adjust anything.Both have molded plugs going to them so they can't be connected wrong.

Back