• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trick to use front ABS post rear axle swap?

linksvu

NAXJA Forum User
Any one aware of or have thoughts for a trick to still use the ABS in the front after swapping a non-ABS rear axle? I through in a re-built 8.25 in my '98 since the D35 was dying. While I'm fine without rear ABS (I understand I have no choice anyhow) it would be slick to still have the front of the system work.

Any thoughts? Can I ground them somehow so the system thinks the sensors are working?

I'm quite certain it had the sensors in the rear, I'm just not sure how the whole system work/worked.

Any way to have the sensors believe the rears are spinning but never locked?

If you rewire the rear sensors to get readings from the fronts, it will work. It will be no where near as effective as having all four sensors working. Personally I would abandon the whole set up, or add sensors back to the rear.

All four ABS sensors need to be sending a signal. Disable it, and pay attention to your driving.

I trashed the ABS when I swapped out my D35 and I'm not dead yet.

Of course, I'm a professional driver and only drive on a closed course. Your results could be different. See your doctor immediately if you develop any life-threatening injuries or have an erection that lasts more than four hours. Some limitations apply. Past performance does not predict future results. Laws vary by state. Not recommended for minors or for anyone with a history of mental illness.

KJ Liberty 8.25 have ABS, so you may be able to make the necessary modifications. ABS was optional, so not having ABS is does not make an XJ unique.

I used this thread to transfer the original Dana 35 ABS sensors to my MJ Dana 44 rear axle. It works great. I assume you could use the basics of this thread to move the sensors to your 8.25. It is not quick or real easy but it was not that bad either. My XJ is a 1999 model year.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

Back