• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 manual shifter concerns?

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
I saw this mentioned inside a AW4 manual shifter discussion, but with no attention given to the resolution. Now I am soon to be using a manual shift option on a '99 AW4 that I'll actually be using in a '80 CJ7. I will be running a TCU for highway use, but also intend to integrate a manual shifter for when wheeling.

I want to run a rotary switch for the manual operation, but am concerned about the momentary fraction of a second between gears where power is removed altogether, thus causing a shift to OD?

Wouldn't the transmission 1-2 shift become a 1-4-2 shift, and the 2-3 shift become 2-4-3? Or is it not enough time to really affect anything?

I understand that there are great products out there to handle manual switching, and that I could just use two switches, but I'd really like a rotary dial.

Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

It should be fast enough to not matter - and also, if you look closely at the shift pattern, you'll note that only one solenoid changes state from any gear to any adjacent gear in the chart. This wasn't done by accident, it's known as a "grey code" in computer engineering and is chosen specifically to avoid the problem you noted. You can buy what's known as a "make before break" configuration rotary switch which will avoid the momentary fourth gear shifts between detents.

I actually built just such a rotary shifter for testing in 2010 when I was actively working on some custom AW4 stuff. I used a double pole, four position make before break rotary switch so that I could simply use one pole for each shift solenoid. Were I to do this today, I'd also add a TCC lockup control using a toggle switch fed through a relay or two wired such that the relay only enables the toggle switch when the brake lamps are off AND the shifter knob is in 3 or OD. Shouldn't be too too hard to rig up.

Copied and pasted from the AW4 thread so this information is searchable.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970&page=35

Copied and pasted from the AW4 thread so this information is searchable.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970&page=35

I appreciate how quick you are to tell me that I could search and find this same info on this page on another thread, but if you'd have spend a few seconds reading it before putting me on blast you'd see that kastein wrote that reply specifically to me, after I asked him these exact questions in an ongoing discussion within that thread, AFTER I'd asked it in this thread and gotten no reply. Incidentally, I asked there and he replied there AFTER this had gone unanswered for almost three days and had gotten lost in the mix here.

So again, thanks, but you didn't help. You just tried to blast me. Good job.

Actually it was posted so that if anyone searched, like I did, they would not find a double post, or a post with no answer. I just referenced the post with an answer. And this is a forum; everyone gets answers, not just specifically you.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

I see.

I thought that you meant
"Copied and pasted from the AW4 thread, so (obviously) this information is searchable."

when you really meant "
Copied and pasted from the AW4 thread so (that) this information is searchable."

so...

I'm a jerk. I apologize for my reaction. Totally my bad for misunderstanding and reacting poorly.

Back