• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have a 6L XJ and looking for alternative headlight locations preferably LED

SuperDuperXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My engine bay is very tight with having the AC compressor and the spot where the air intake is, is blocked by the headlight. I have thought if I could remove the drivers headlamp and install a driving/headlamp in LED somewhere else I would be in much better shape. View photos below:

Anyone have a solution? TIA

The location where the current intake is boxed in and the compartment is very tight. With having AC installed its a great bonus but the condenser hogs room. I wouldn't mind maximizing the power of the motor and get an additional 50hp out of it from either creating air under the intake or relocating the headlight and having that air flow in. I have a HS9500 warn winch to add as well and thats going to limit flow too

Do you really think you'll gain 50 hp with relocating a headlight? I'd bet you will make 0.

If you want an opinion here's what i'd do. I bet that area gets plenty of airflow. However id build an aluminum air box around the intake and cover it with that reflective gold foil. You'll make more power guaranteeing the intake is getting cold air rather than trying to get it more air. It's not like we're struggling for air.

I'm not an idiot, the motor will gain 50HP with lower temps where I live and better timing. It was tuned at 115 degrees and tuned down due to lack of cold air flow. Colorado is far cooler then phoenix but thanks for being an expert on a motor you don't have

Lol. You can get lower temps without relocating a headlight. Your engine isn't starving for air

And for your information. I DO have a LS swapped XJ.

But thanks for being a dick. I'm sure people will love to help you.

I'm not an idiot, the motor will gain 50HP with lower temps where I live and better timing. It was tuned at 115 degrees and tuned down due to lack of cold air flow. Colorado is far cooler then phoenix but thanks for being an expert on a motor you don't have

You're so right.........and don't forget to put some stickers on it...that'll add another 40 hp........seeing as how no one else knows anything about how engines work, you just do what you want.

SAE HP is achieved at 0 feet above sea level, 0% relative humidity, 77 degrees F, and 29.235 inches of mercury.

With no change in altitude, relative humidity, or air pressure, the SAE correction factor is slightly over 1% for every 10 degrees F.

Additionally, humidity changes the results by about 1.85% for every 50% of relative humidity.

Every 1000 feet of altitude changes the result by approximately 4.2%

Every 0.5 inches of mercury (air pressure) changes the result by around 2.1%

Here's a calculator to play with your numbers.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

P.S.- NAXJA forum member since 2008, and in 8 years, you haven't learned yet that coming off like a pompous a$$ isn't going to result in a positive experience?
BTW, there are several members here who have years of first-hand experience with this combo, so park the 'tude for the best result.

I say go for it! It's really common to take out a headlight and make a ram air intake in it's place in the drag racing world. It would be really cool if you dyno it with the old setup then test it again with the new setup and compare results. I'm willing to bet with a big fan pushing air over the jeep on the dyno to make the ram air intake actually work it will make more power. 50hp might be stretching it a bit, but a true CAI can make a serious impact. http://bfy.tw/5nXt

Edit:I should read more before I open my mouth. XJeeper laid down some science.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet with a big fan pushing air over the jeep on the dyno to make the ram air intake actually work it will make more power.

You mean like a turbo?

CO DMV said:
State Law:
42-4-205. 

(1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 

(2) Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps that shall comply with the requirements and limitations of sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 

(3) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches, to be measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3).

(4) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

So yeah, there's some legal wiggle room on moving that headlight.

But you'd have to find something DOT legal, or just relocate the existing light.

It would look like ass, no matter what you did, and not be worth 7 horsepower.

Back