• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

offset ball joints

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
At 4" of lift and worn out front end parts I am in the process freshen up every thing there that are considered consumables. I have fixed LCA's that are 16.375" long and adjustable UCA's. I have gotten the front drive shaft to a near perfect angle according to the XJ workshop manual. The caster need about 2 degrees to meet the recommended specs. I have seen online offset upper ball joints as well as lowers that are also offset.

Which ball joint would you guys recommend?

This is more like, "I need to replace all the ball joints on the XJ, Why not get some that could help to get the caster numbers closer to the recommend?"

Thanks for contributing.

This is more like, "I need to replace all the ball joints on the XJ, Why not get some that could help to get the caster numbers closer to the recommend?"

Thanks for contributing.

One reason NOT to, is that the offset ball joints may not be long lived. I know MOOG sells them, but MOOG ball joints don't have a great reputation anymore.

After regearing to 4.56s, the front driveshaft shaft would vibrate at freeway speeds unless the pinion angle was less than 1 degree, which is what the FSM calls for.
With the pinion angle dialed in, the caster was only 3-1/2 degrees, way less than desirable.
I installed a set of Moog 1-3/4 degree offset lower ball joints, which helped but they loosened up within 10,000.
I replaced them with adjustable ball joints from Napa. They were expensive but are still tight after around 65,000 miles.
The ideal solution is to cut and rotate the C-yokes to the desired angle.

NAPA ball joints are are available as Raybestos Pro, but NAPA may have a better warranty (lifetime vs 2 yr)... thanks for the extra data point lazyxj! One caveat may be that the NAPA/Raybestos joints are knurled whereas the factory joints are smooth, so if you change them too many times you need new axles C's or a new axle... NAPA has a 20% off bucket sale this month too, BTW.

After regearing to 4.56s, the front driveshaft shaft would vibrate at freeway speeds unless the pinion angle was less than 1 degree, which is what the FSM calls for.
With the pinion angle dialed in, the caster was only 3-1/2 degrees, way less than desirable.
I installed a set of Moog 1-3/4 degree offset lower ball joints, which helped but they loosened up within 10,000.
I replaced them with adjustable ball joints from Napa. They were expensive but are still tight after around 65,000 miles.
The ideal solution is to cut and rotate the C-yokes to the desired angle.

I am glad you did lend your experience here. I remember somewhere you mentioned you had installed just such ball joints. Adjustable ball joints,...how do one go about adjusting them? Look like I have some home work to do. :rtm:
Do you remember/have a part number?

I know there is plenty of talk on forums for and against offset ball joints and in favor rotating the 'C's. To me, that is a lot of work when all I need is about 2 degrees.

By-the-way,...what is the preferred upper or lower?

..how do one go about adjusting them? Look like I have some home work to do. :rtm:
Do you remember/have a part number?
By-the-way,...what is the preferred upper or lower?

The adjustable ball joints come with a paper template, used for 'aiming' the offset. Set it in the right position, mark it to detect unwanted rotation and then tap it in until firmly set.
Then press press it home with the clamp.

Napa only sells the bottom adjustable joint.
I have seen adjustable uppers but would prefer that the bottom joint runs at the angle it was engineered to be at, rather than at an offset. YMMV

Lower adjustable ball joint - 2001 XJ
NCP 2643724 NAPA Chassis Parts
IMPORTANT INFO : Offset Ball Joint Replaces OEM To Provide 1-3/4 Degree Positive
http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NCZ2643724_0318416991

Side note, if you do use the adjustable ball joint, use it to full adjustment. If you use any other angle you'll throw off camber.

Thank you guys. I will start this weekend to get all the parts together then make the project a one day exercise.

:cheers:

Back