• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee 1990 int-lights and radio not working

Steffen84

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

my interior lights and the Radio (not original) stopt working, what fuse should I check? There is no 12V on where it should be constantly.

1990 Renix XJ

Check them all, it wouldve taken less time than posting this thread. And wouldve told you more.

Hook a volt meter up for 12vdc, ground the black to chassis, and touch red to the exposed tips of every fuse in your panel, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FUSE.
If one side of a fuse isnt +12vdc, that fuse is suspect, pull it. If neither side has +12vdc, you have supply side wiring problems...

Our jeeps are getting older (especially renix's), I try to minimize wear and tear on this area, as its allready a problem area for me. No need to go pulling fuses needlessly just to check them.
TtniJkq.png

If thats too hard, im pretty sure it says right on the panel.... (not 100%, i have multiple year jeeps)

Do you have a manual transmission??

Do your turn signals, and cigarette lighter work? Had a similar issue with my Renix where the accessories were not working and the issue was caused by a bad ignition switch.

I have a renix mj with the same issue (radio and interior lights), mine was caused by clutch hydraulic fluid leaking onto the fuse panel, causing damage to the plastics that hold the crimped connectors into the backside of the fuse panel, where the fuses plug in.

The fix is extensive, but start digging, sometimes you can get it to hold steady for a while, sometimes it will keep falling out everytime you hit a bump.

Back