• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar bracket (Frame side)

Baron Otto Matic

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace the Track Bar a few months ago , with a RE 1600 and am having issues with the stock bracket keeping tight. Are there Torque specs for the stock bracket? After " Blue Torquing " it after the bar install it started creaking, then went after it with an impact only to have it start creaking again. It's a 96 xj 2 door with a 4.5 in. lift.
Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks!

Your best bet is to pick up an re1665 (I think) frame side track bar mount or other similar bracket. And run the heim in double sheer. You will need washers or spacers to fill the gap in the bracket. But it will be stronger

Thanks for the reply Johnnie. I was actually looking at the bracket this weekend . I would have went with the re 1660 bar and bracket but the stock bar broke at a crappy time $ wise. So are there any Factory torque specs for the stock unit? I would really like to quiet this thing down whilst weighing my aftermarket options . It creaks like the shiot - house door on a tuna clipper!

AllData is kind of vague for my 97 but here's what it lists.

BRACKET:
Bolts 125 Nm (92 ft. lbs.)
Nut 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.)
Support Bolts 42 Nm (31 ft. lbs.)

The torque specs for the frame end bolt on the 1600 are ridiculous... 115 ft/lbs to be precise.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=RE1600.pdf&line=R/E

I had the same issue for a while, until I figured out how to link enough box wrenches to get good torque on the nut, and threw a piece of pipe on the wrench tightening the bolt. Pain in the dick, but I got it tight enough that it never squeaked again. Ended up selling the bar and bracket as one unit when I upgraded to the RE1660/1665 combo.

I used a pipe on a wrench as well. I just tightened it until I thought it would snap and then went another 1/8 th of a turn. When mine got lose I would get death wobble.

Back