• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temporarily capping the vacuum canister line

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I had a bit of a boxing match with a deer last night and it banged up the front passenger side of my jeep, including breaking the vacuum line feeding the canister behind the bumper. I need my jeep this week and can't take it to the body shop until Friday.

Should I bother capping the line until I can get it repaired? If I understand the system, the primary thing affected would be the HVAC controls (it's a 2001). Thanks.

It's a good idea to cap off vac lines not being used or not attached to anything. If your cannister was damaged, you can relocate it or even get a new (used) one. Then relocate it to the engine comartment shortening the lines.

If you can't do that, just cap the lines and live with just defrost and no cruise control for a week. The reservoir isn't rocket science and it does not have to be a Jeep reservoir, just vacuum in from the big hose and vacuum out from the small hose.

Back