• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tip on changing oil for the 4.0s and poss other motors

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Every time I used to change my oil trying to catch all the oil that would spill out of the filter was a pain in the ass. Well the other day I did something a little different and the filter was completely empty when I took it off...no spill!

I put the front up on ramps to get underneath and drain the oil. After that I put the plug back in, started up and backed off the ramps. Now when I took the filter off no oil came out! I guess it was b/c I started the motor and all the oil was sucked out of the filter during the 10 seconds or so the motor was running. This is how I will forever now change my oil.

Hope this helps somebody

I just put the catch pan under the filter and take it off. I might even out a shop towel on the UCA. Then when the filter is off move the catch pan to the drain plug.

So you ran the motor with no oil in it other than the stuff in the filter?

No thanks

X2. I've been changing the oil on many XJs for 14 years and this same one for 8-9 years. For some reason it has never once bothered me .I cant imagine it bothering anyone enough to punish his/her XJ by running it without oil even for 10 seconds. seems like a very bad idea to me.

Seems like you would have a half quart of used oil
that was pumped back into the crankcase, with this
technique.....

Don't forget to pull off the air cleaner and dump sand into the intake while it's running to help port the intake and exhaust ports.

This is a STUPID idea, and has to be a joke. On the off chance it's not, you do realize that running your engine without oil is bad, right.......especially if you're doing it for the sole reason of not spilling some oil out of the filter. I would hate to see what other horrible things you've done to that poor Jeep. May God have mercy on it's soul.

It might seem like it will be find from the residual oil in the engine but think about the oil pump, you're running it dry when its not suppose to, think about the cylinder walls as the pistons run up and down. There is no liberating oil going to those rings, even for 10 sec how many times do you think that engine is turning? A lot if you're wondering lol. maybe like 10-20 rotations it would be fine but that engine is spinning well over that amount. You're running a huge risk and possible damage by doing that.

Sorry for this bad information. I'm mostly self taught and was originally given the info that this wasn't such a big deal. Apparently I was wrong. Really wrong.

Live some, learn some. I don't think you killed your engine, this time. ;)

A great way to not have the oil just pour out as you unscrew the filter is to punch a hole with a screwdriver into the filter and it will drain out.

Or in this case you should just take your jeep somewhere to get the oil changed. That way you will have no spills on the garage floor . . .

Why not just slip a produce bag or bread bag over the oil filter and past the oil filter adapter, then unscrew it? The plastic bag will catch the majority of any spilled oil.....

I make a little ramp out of cardboard with a slight fold in the middle. Keeps most of the oil off the hard to clean spots.

First time it takes a little trial and error to get the right shape and size. Make two and you have a pattern for the next time.

Took me many tries to find an oil filter removal tool the right size and configuration, any old sort won't get the job done without problems. Then I lent it out and forgot who I lent it to. (;

Oh dear God. You have to be joking right. Is it April 1st? Tone is this you joking around, being the JOKER you are? LOL

Only he can come up with this shit, I thought.
;)

Back