• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots of metal in the front case

Chris291

NAXJA Forum User
I've been hearing a grinding noise that gets more intense with road speed. I checked the hub assembly, u joints, and gear oil level. The hub assembly and all u joints are good, but when I looked at the front differential drain plug, it is loaded with metal shards. The oil dripping down the front of the case also was loaded with metal. My question is, how to I find the gear ratio and/or replacement parts for this? My truck is a 97 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4.

Ok, so I called Morris 4X4. I have a Dana 30 3.55. It was recommended that I take everything out to see what is damaged before I order any parts. I'll update if anyone wants to know

If you didn't even know what front axle you have, I don't recommend you try to rebuild it yourself. If there is metal in the differential (that's the part that you are calling a "case") then more the likely you have a bad bearing causing your gear set to be destroyed. You will need to press new bears and set up new gears using special tools that I don't think you have.

Renegade, you are absolutely right. Im a back yard mechanic and mechanically inclined, but I feel like Im a bit in over my head here. Made an appointment with my local Jeep dealership to repair it for me. Hate having to do that, but rather do that then get in too deep and have to tow it there.

Did you get an estimate from them ?

The cheapest and easiest repair for major differential damage is a good used axle from the junkyard. I would expect to pay $100-200 for a complete axle. Either axle can be swapped with simple hand tools. A used axle will cost about 1/4 or less than the cost for a rebuild. Dealerships probably have the highest prices for labor and for parts.

Did you get an estimate from them ?

The cheapest and easiest repair for major differential damage is a good used axle from the junkyard. I would expect to pay $100-200 for a complete axle. Either axle can be swapped with simple hand tools. A used axle will cost about 1/4 or less than the cost for a rebuild. Dealerships probably have the highest prices for labor and for parts.

That's what I did - saved a ton of money.

$80 for the complete front axle. Sold the bearings and shafts out of it for $40.

Good call guys. I found a bunch of front axles in my area, one with 88k on it for $200. Going to pick it up today and install it this weekend. Yes, same gear ratio and w/o abs like mine. Anything in particular I should check on the axle assembly before I buy it? Besides the obvious like making sure everything moves correctly without strange noises

Just open it up and see what it looks like inside as far as any metal floating around. That's a better deal anyway now you have some spare parts if needed in the future.

Make sure it's a high pinion, and not a low pinion axle. Also make sure it's not an older vacuum disconnect axle.

The dealership wants $1400 for parts and labor to repair the differential. They said it needs a ring and pinion and a bearing kit. $1400 seems reasonable to do that job, but I'm not about to spend that much. I'll let you know how the front end swap goes.

The dealership wants $1400 for parts and labor to repair the differential. They said it needs a ring and pinion and a bearing kit. $1400 seems reasonable to do that job, but I'm not about to spend that much. I'll let you know how the front end swap goes.

1400 is crack pipe dealership price.

if you're swapping front axles you should just pick up some new arms with new bushings in them, they're like $20 per at rockauto.

chances are you're gonna tear up the bushings on removal, and if they're OEM they're probably worn out already. might as well replace them and not do axle removal twice.

depending on what brand parts they are using and what all they are replacing, along with whatever their labor rate is, it may be a fair price for your area. Having said that though, if you know what to look for you can save about 85% of that by swapping in a good used front end. Just make sure to change axle joints, fluids, gaskets, etc. before installing.

I have a replacement front differential set up going in this week. Came from a 98 cherokee with 88k on it and same gears as my truck. She spins free with no grinding and the drain plug magnet had very little metal shavings. Looks like from normal wear. Also have a full bushing kit to go with it, including all the sway bar bushings. All I need after that is a new set of tires, and she's ready for winter. I hope....

Dang! At $1400.00 you would think there would be a market for a vendor to sell bolt in rebuilt D30.

I'd think alot of jeepers would rather bolt in a fresh front end than pay the dealer for a partial fix or deal with possible JY unknowns.

$500 to do the swap, not bad. The bushings were good other than the sway bar bushings, all those replaced. One set of axle joints were completely gone, so I had them use one from the old front diff set up. No more noise from the differential, but now there is a ton a noise when I transfer weight to and from the front (decel, brake, turn, accel etc). I think its from the rust that was on the replacement front set up and the new bushings. Going to give it a week. Hopefully all that noise should subside...

grinding while braking/turning is usually wheel bearing related.

pay attention if it happens while turning one way or the other.
it could simply be that the rotors were surface rusted if you used the new to you ones that had been sitting. That should go away shortly with normal driving.

Back