• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gears for Dana 44 Rear Axle - Is this the way to go?

PumpinIron

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm hunting for some 4.10 gears for my Dana 44 rear axle. I'm checking all the site sponsors looking for the best deal but so far it seems like this is the kit to go with...

http://www.justdifferentials.com/D44-411BP-T-NG-p/d44-411bp-t-ng.htm

Now, I'm going to shop around with all the sponsors first and see who can get me the best deal on that, but what do you guys think? Instead of just upgrading the gears to 4.10 it seems like I might as well spend the extra money and upgrade to the big pinion kit to improve the axle and make it 'beefier' so to speak.

Do I have any other options or is Nitro the only company that makes a kit like this? Also, I'd be interested to know if anyone here is running this and what they think about it.

It seems like a nice setup and I don't have any reservations about it, just thought I would ask first to see what other people think.

Thanks in advance!

Be aware that NAXJA prices reflect actual membership in NAXJA (red, maybe green user names, forget exactly). Some vendors may be loose about it.

EDIT: redacted

Let me know if I can be of some help.

Also that kit is nice and all. But unless your running a 30 spline min, chromoly axle kit and a high end locker, there is no need to spend $500 on what you can spend $250 on, like 99.9% of everyone else runs, and be just as happy in the end.

I would bet there are a number of low mileage JK drivers re-gearing from 4.10s. Would those gears work in a XJ Dana 44?

In my experience, which means little to nothing to the new guy but maybe he'll listen, ..

go Yukon or Motive. I'd say in that order, but its because it really comes down to service at that point and Yukon has way better service.

Nitro/JustDiffs makes really shitty products and refuses to stand behind them.

In my experience, which means little to nothing to the new guy but maybe he'll listen, ..

go Yukon or Motive. I'd say in that order, but its because it really comes down to service at that point and Yukon has way better service.

Nitro/JustDiffs makes really shitty products and refuses to stand behind them.

I believe you 100%. From all the research I'm doing it seems like Yukon and Motive are the best.

I guess my main reason for posting this thread was to find out if the big / thick cut gears and JK pinion / diff spline is a worth while upgrade since I'm going to be in there anyways.

I couldn't find anyone else who made this except Nitro which is why I asked.

The more and more I look though it seems that this here might be the best bang for the buck...

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4

Last edited:
We race King of the Hammers with near 400 horsepower and 35's on an XJ 44 with the stock size pinion.. and breaking it has never once occurred to us as a potential, less been a problem.

To borrow the phrase from Cracker.. "The solution to a problem that does not exist"

For the intended usage way overkill, PITA custom crap. Just run normal, high quality gears intended for your axle. Like Cal said basically.

Is your front axle 4.10? If you have to do both, go 4.56 if the front is already 4.10 then go 4.10.

My front is going to be re-geared at the same time.

4.56 is tempting but for 31" tires it will make highway driving a bit buzzy and annoying I suspect due to the higher RPMs.

You live in Oregon, go with 4.56's, anytime you hit a hill you'll be glad you did it. It's about 200rpm difference at 65-70. The moment you load it with camping gear, and start going up a long grade you'll be glad for 4.56's. I've been there, done that. 4.56's with 31's was much more enjoyable than 4.10's.

Mark

Well, now you have me considering 4.56 gears instead. Seems like everyone is so torn on this... Some people are telling me 4.10 while others are saying 4.56.

I realize a lot of it is preference, it's just hard to make a choice when I don't exactly have a way of testing them both out without wasting a lot of money in the process, ha ha.

Back