• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No dash lights

Hippie Metal

NAXJA Forum User
Since I bought the XJ the illuminating background lights on the gauges never worked..as well as the heater panel.. no lights there either, nor does the blower work at all. Kid I bought the car from, says he checked all the fuses, but I'm not too sure about what he did or didn't do..the shift light and all other idiot lights work fine..just the illuminating lights.....not sure if it's related, but the green ring around the key tha lights up goes on and off.....

Also, not a big deal, but since it's the BASE BASE BASE model xj....is there any reason my cluster with a tach won't just pop in?....as well as a wiper switch with a resistor in it? Tired of wiper settings being low, high, and off

Does the cab light come on? Is the headlight switch turned all the way down? If the fuses are ALL good then I'd suspect the rheostat on the headlight switch...replacement necessary.

As far as the wipers...if you have the switch on the stalk and it has intermittent SETTINGS then it could be as easy as putting in an intermittent wiper module. It's under the dash between your legs, velcroed to the underside.

The black box is the module, The two wire harnesses either plug into each other or into each end of the module. If you don't have the box, you don't have intermittent wipers. You can pick up a module at either the junkyard for a couple bucks, off e-bay for a little more or from the dealer for alot more. It's just as simple as plugging it in.

If you don't have intermittent controls on the turn signal stalk/switch you'll need to do more work...Good luck.

Cab lights work, the switch isn't turned all the way down. No intermittent setting on the stalk...hmmm looks like I have my work cut out for me to get normal wipers. I'll pull a switch from my buddy's XJ that he's parting and see if that fixes it

Just realized that I no longer have tail lights after replacing the headlight switch...gonna order a new one and hope it fixes the tail and gauge light problem?....all fuses checked out today when I went over them all again for the third time...anybody have any insight?

IIRC, the tail lights are integrated with the dash lights on most older vehicles, pre 2K. I found that out on my 64 Chevy truck. I believe it indicates a problem with your taillight circuit, not necessarily the dash lights. If your dash lights are out, fix the taillights and/or the grounds/sockets associated. Do your blinkers stay solid when they're on?

Do you have trailer wiring too? Check that out, some trailer wiring is done hastily or sketch-ily.

IIRC, the tail lights are integrated with the dash lights on most older vehicles, pre 2K. I found that out on my 64 Chevy truck. I believe it indicates a problem with your taillight circuit, not necessarily the dash lights. If your dash lights are out, fix the taillights and/or the grounds/sockets associated. Do your blinkers stay solid when they're on?

Do you have trailer wiring too? Check that out, some trailer wiring is done hastily or sketch-ily.
no trailer wiring, the blinkers work minty, and the tails worked perfect until I changed the switch. I'll have to go over grounds when I have the time....sucks because I work every night......

Start checking voltage to the wires with the key on and headlight switch all the way on (I put the dimmer adjustment mid-way and sometimes give it a wiggle).
Will do...that's the next plan after I go over all the grounds

Back