• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any tips for installing a rustys 4.5" lift?

cptstoney

NAXJA Forum User
so I attempted to install my lift this past weekend and failed big time.......

I couldn't get the leafs to line up easily and for the life of me I couldn't get the front coils in(lower ca's disco'd, track bar disco'd, sway bar 86'd, brake lines loose)

anyone have any tips for installing rustys 4.5" lift?

I have lifted tj's,lj's,xj's, and jk's in my driveway with zero issue but the 'manche seems to want to fight me every step of the way.

oh and has anyone used the autozone strut compressor to suck springs down far enough?

You shouldn't need a spring compresssor, they scare the piss out of me anyways.

With the shocks and swaybar disconnected, you should be able to jack up one side of the axle underneath the balljoint and push down on the other side enough to be able to fit the coil in no problems. Disconnect the steering for even more droop if its binding.

Front:
disco sway bar, shocks, remove caliper, and disconnect LCA, one side at a time. jack under frame rail, and drop axle down. Probably need to disco the track bar too if its the goofy stock single shear.

Rears:
Did they send you XJ leaf packs? Or is it an AAL and shackle. ?
put the tire back on and kick the axle back until it all lines up.

Front:
disco sway bar, shocks, remove caliper, and disconnect LCA, one side at a time. jack under frame rail, and drop axle down. Probably need to disco the track bar too if its the goofy stock single shear.

Rears:
Did they send you XJ leaf packs? Or is it an AAL and shackle. ?
put the tire back on and kick the axle back until it all lines up.

I thought they where xj springs at first but its just the arch that's throwing me off. they are 2" to "short". its a full leaf pack also.

I'm gonna bolt the springs in and use a pry bar/wood/hammer/floorjack to get em in place. I was alil bit of a puss this past weekend and didn't want to cut the stuck pass side leaf spring bolt since I thought I had the wrong leaf pack.

You shouldn't need a spring compresssor, they scare the piss out of me anyways.

With the shocks and swaybar disconnected, you should be able to jack up one side of the axle underneath the balljoint and push down on the other side enough to be able to fit the coil in no problems. Disconnect the steering for even more droop if its binding.

jacked it up and had a fat buddy stand on it.... still wouldn't go...... half tempted to drop the whole damn axle......

I always leave the LCAs attachs, pop the upper, roll the axle forward some, stuff coil in there, jack axle and use ratchet strap to roll it back, reconnect UCAs.

no idea on the rear springs. never had then come up that short on the shackle end.

something is up with the rear to be that far off. can you measure springs front eye to center pin and center pin to rear eye? give us an idea? I know the XJ is quite a bit less longer in both measurements than the XJ. you don't have the leaves backwards? did you jack up the axle more to get the springs closer?

Pics help a ton.

XJ leaves are WAY short. He'd be off by 6" or more.

speaking as someone that did SOA with XJ leaves and burnt new mounts on the rear.

I guess I dont understand why anyone would do a leaf lift on a MJ when you can do a SOA and end up at 4.5" anyway and have a decent ride and flex.

What's the advantage besides not having to weld on new spring perches?
-Ron

OP, I have used strut spring compressors, when I had short arms, to get taller coils in. Works. They can be kinda sketchy, but if you are careful should be alright.

I guess I dont understand why anyone would do a leaf lift on a MJ when you can do a SOA and end up at 4.5" anyway and have a decent ride and flex.

What's the advantage besides not having to weld on new spring perches?
-Ron

I could see the argument made that SUA results in less spring wrap.
^^ This.
Better ride, better than stock springs. Lift height from SOA conversion is not always the same either.
Regardless of height, my MJ will stay SUA.

Interestng. Counter intuitive, but interesting. Good to know.

HF sells a decent spring compressor that captures the spring. It's not hooks, it's a clamp like device that you use a big wrench on.
You attach the top, and push the safety pins though, then the bottom and push the pins though. Then you get out your wrench and tighten the large bolt that goes though it's frame. You then lift the entire thing out and set it down out of the way. Best darn spring compressor I have used. I will never use hooks again.

-Ron

Back