• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To? Bumpstops

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Forgive me if I've overlooked a "Sticky" on how to check, measure, select and adjust bumpstops. Is there a 'How To' somewhere you can point me to?

I'm figuring you ramp or incline the rig on one front wheel and get within 1/2" of whatever the tire might contact (fender/flare, etc.) and measure the distance between the existing bumpstop and it's normal contact point. Same basic deal with the rear.
If that's correct is it recommended to get the bumpstop equal to that measurement plus the length of the existing bumpstop. Or are there adjustable bumpstops available? What's the best stuff? Even the best can't cost that much.

Thanks for saving me some time and hit/miss on the final touches of my build.

Search prothanes. Should get you more info you want. They are a nice progressive bump so you will want them taller than your typical bump.

Pull the spring and measure
You.can guestimate fairly well without doing it, but to get that last bit you have to put in the work.

How fast do you.want to go?

Did a search (what a concept) and found this article. http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm
Just happens I already have hockey pucks in the front (I'll just buy more if needed) and the plate pictured at the end for the back (I'll just add stops to that).
Real question was how to measure and that's answered in the beginning of the article.

Thanks for the help guys.

While measuring is very important, you're wasting your time if you don't do prothanes. :)

While measuring is very important, you're wasting your time if you don't do prothanes. :)

Any chance you can be more specific for Prothane part numbers or options, front and rear? Been searching vendors. And why they're so superior?

Pull the spring and measure
You.can guestimate fairly well without doing it, but to get that last bit you have to put in the work.

How fast do you.want to go?

An aha moment. This comment made no sense to me until I finally find a discussion on the Prothane. I'm not racing this and 'go fast' is not part of the equation. I'm looking to bumpstop for offroad, rock crawling, flex situations, not jumping ditches. Guess I could have specified that.
Should I take the tread elsewhere?

Thanks.

An aha moment. This comment made no sense to me until I finally find a discussion on the Prothane. I'm not racing this and 'go fast' is not part of the equation. I'm looking to bumpstop for offroad, rock crawling, flex situations, not jumping ditches. Guess I could have specified that.
Should I take the tread elsewhere?

Thanks.

You mean, wheeling like this?

IMG_4317-1_zps2336b790.jpg

IMG_4489_zps71ceb053.jpg

100e4609.jpg

IMG_0247-1_zpsb0b94a3c.jpg

And yes.....Prothanes work well for this too

IMG_5993-1.jpg

IMG_5994-1.jpg

IMG_6006-1.jpg

I'm running these http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/19-1705/10002/-1?parentProductId= and at 6" of lift, trimmed off 2 rings to dial them in for my suspension. I made tunable bump plates, which replaced the factory bumpstop, to allow me dial in the proper dampening with the Prothane bumps. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985677&page=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJzCQziijA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agR2QQuZXSU

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Weeeellll... sorta. Maybe everything except the airborne stuff. The pucker factor kicked in just looking at those pictures. Age has a funny way of dampening (pun intended) that kind of behavior. Maybe I'll let the sons-in-law do that stuff in my rig and I'll be the cameraman. They love drag racing MY car.

That's pretty impressive for a 'mild' (and clean!) looking XJ.

Thanks for the info

The 6 ring prothanes are only $60 and long enough for most people on 6" or less. They work great in the low speed stuff AND high speed, whereas hockey pucks only work well at low speed. Just because you don't plan any high speed stuff doesn't mean you won't ever want to.

Weeeellll... sorta. Maybe everything except the airborne stuff. The pucker factor kicked in just looking at those pictures. Age has a funny way of dampening (pun intended) that kind of behavior. Maybe I'll let the sons-in-law do that stuff in my rig and I'll be the cameraman. They love drag racing MY car.

That's pretty impressive for a 'mild' (and clean!) looking XJ.

Thanks for the info

Even with trussed and gusset axle housings and alloy shafts, uni-rail reinforcements, HD steering components, limit straps and dialed-in bumps......I'm pretty selective when and where I fly my XJ. I agree with zacandandy, 6 rings Prothane bumps should work just fine for you.

Last edited:
Another vote for prothanes here. I don't do go-fast stuff either but they are by far the best solution IMHO. They have been one of my more favorite mods.

I'd even risk saying that prothanes are better than air bumps but then we'd have a whole argument about it and derail the thread :) haha

You get the benefits of an air bump (progressive dampening) but they're easier to install (just throw em in the coil, remove the factory bump and weld a small plate in where the bump used to be) they're cheaper to buy initially and easier to fix (just replace em if they're worn out somehow) and they don't have the noise that a traditional air bump has.

The 6 ring prothanes are only $60 and long enough for most people on 6" or less. They work great in the low speed stuff AND high speed, whereas hockey pucks only work well at low speed. Just because you don't plan any high speed stuff doesn't mean you won't ever want to.

I went with 8 rings with my 4" setup and just cut off what I needed, I cut off 2 rings and reinstalled 1

Prothane 19-1704 Red 6 Ring Coil Spring Insert
http://amzn.com/B003876KV0

Last edited:
Back