• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing Battery

Seeker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey my jeep left me stranded while wheeling the other day after leaving the lights on for 10 mins on a peak. It was a bear to have my brothers take 3 hours on their battery less dirt bikes to get another battery. It seems to struggle some to turn on and was completely dead the other day when I went to start it. I just went to autozone and he plug in a multimeter and said it was fine. Is there anything else I can do to test it? I am cheap and don't want to buy a battery if it's not the issue. I am going on a long Moab trip in April and want it to be ready.

I just went to autozone and he plug in a multimeter and said it was fine.

there is no way to tell if the battery is bad by hitting it with a D.M.M.
You want to have it fully charged and load tested. I would find another place to do my battery/ charging system testing and see what they find.

there is no way to tell if the battery is bad by hitting it with a D.M.M.
You want to have it fully charged and load tested. I would find another place to do my battery/ charging system testing and see what they find.

^^^

This.

You absolutely, positively cannot determine battery condition with a meter. That can only show voltage; not how the battery does under load which is what happens when you try to start your vehicle. I'm amazed (and disappointed) that Autozone didn't have a load tester to use on your battery........

Load testing is the only accurate way. Load test your battery; it will tell the story. Free at any parts store (except maybe the one you were at...)

Last edited:
Back