• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30amp fuse death

Jump This

Just another minion!
Out rock crawling yesterday and when I dropped off of a big rock and landed hard the engine quit. It would crank but no fire.
I checked the fuse block and found the 30 amp micro blade fuse was blown. I have tried tracking down where it goes but no luck yet. I also don't have the manual available to me (right now.)
Can someone check and let me know what it handles?
It is a '96 4.0. I believe it is the only 30 amp mini blade too.
Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get back out there soon!

Rick

The PDC in my 96 doesn't match either of my owners manuals (U.S. and Export) but mine is closest to the 95 PDC.

Mine has two 30 amp fuses, one for the ABS and the other is power in for the PCM and the TCU.

Maybe start by unplugging the TCU and putting a new fuse in there and see what happens. If it blows try unplugging the PCM. This will narrow down the search area some.

Word to the wise, 30 amps is major stuff, you may want to yank it back out of there quick if stuff starts to smoke. Or maybe even use twenty amp fuses and work your way up slowly.

I'd get a good flashlight and do a thorough exam of all the harnesses (and wiring) underneath before I even began to troubleshoot. Run your finger down (the top of) all the expose wiring, harnesses and sub harnesses.

Been there done that, except my problems usually stem form hidden tree branches in tall grass.

Many thanks! I was able to track down the problem with the help of Andy Steiner and found a melted wire in the forward o2 sensor. I had a feeling it was in that system but only disconnected the sensors rather than follow the wire downsteam.
Once again, NAXJA comes through in a pinch!!

Rick

Back