• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter won't stop leaking

3blackbirds

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I have a '99 XJ 4.0L 187k miles. I have replaced the seals in my oil filter adapter twice in the past month because it won't stop leaking. I've used the dealership O-ring pack both times. I have put blue loctite on it and gave it my best feel for 55 ft/lb. Leak is at the block and possible from the top where the torx bit goes.

Can anyone help with what I can do next to make this stop leaking? I have replaced the oil pan seal and rear main this past month also. Leak is not coming from there.

Thanks

Check the base of the distributor. You can't see it, but
feel around there for wet oil...

Valve cover gasket too. It can drip down from a few places and seem like the oil filter housing, from my experience.

The oil sending unit can leak, and because it's a 1/8 inch NPT thread, it's easy to check. A 1/8 inch hose and pressure gauge, or if you're confident that your pressure is fine, just put in a plug, and see if the leak continues.

If it is the adapter, the only thing I can think of other than a bum adapter casting, is that the o-rings are distorting when you put it together. Try smearing grease or vaseline liberally on everything when you put it back together.

Back