• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good, quality brake rotor replacements?

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am wondering what is a quality, light weight, performance brake rotor replacement option for the Cherokee? Hopefully under $50 a piece. Thanks!!

EBC from Summit racing.Not the NAPA China junk....

Running centric premium and ebc green pads. Works well for my tire size (33) and can get them from rockauto shipped for the same price as cheap ones locally.

Centric Premiums, you can get them from rock auto.

Are NAPA rotors no good? I put their 'Premium' rotors on my '91 two years ago... I'm getting some pulsating when braking lately. I was going to have them turned since they should have a lot of life left still... but if they're junk maybe I should get something else?

Are NAPA rotors no good? I put their 'Premium' rotors on my '91 two years ago... I'm getting some pulsating when braking lately. I was going to have them turned since they should have a lot of life left still... but if they're junk maybe I should get something else?

I won,t say they are junk,but there are better options available and cheaper.
My mechanic friend who is NAPA affiliated does not have a good opinion of their quality and has turned many new rotors to get rid of the shake.....YMMV

I was always under the impression that if a rotor is cheap enough to warp quickly, its not worth turning and should be replaced with a premium one..

I will try the Centric ones next time... seems like they are favored here.

I went with NAPA Premium when I installed my WJ stuff (with Black Magic pads) a little over a year ago and I am starting to get a pulsing brake pedal... not happy about it, but it isn't terrible yet either.

I needed the rotors sooner than shipping Centric ones would allow in order to get them re-drilled, and thought the NAPA Premiums should be up to the task... clearly I was mistaken.

Couldn't talk my brother into using the Vanco kit (with Centric rotors and Black Magic pads) that my XJ uses so we bought a kit from RockAuto (POWER STOP Part # K2152) for $130 and the brakes are great. The kit used cross-drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads.

Amazon also has the same kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-K2...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive
What's your take on the Vanco set up V/S the Rock Auto set up? AFAIK my rotors are stock (and I would think quality), and I been thinking of throwing a set of Black Magic pads on them. I'm also planning on a ZJ or KJ (or whatever the liberty is) rear disk conversion. I'm sick of dealing with the drums, and keeping them adjusted (and yes all the hardware is new and the adjuster spin freely)...

Last edited:
What's your take on the Vanco set up V/S the Rock Auto set up? AFAIK my rotors are stock (and I would think quality), and I been thinking of throwing a set of Black Magic pads on them. I'm also planning on a ZJ or KJ (or whatever the liberty is) rear disk conversion. I'm sick of dealing with the drums, and keeping them adjusted (and yes all the hardware is new and the adjuster spin freely)...

What size tire are you running?

What size tire are you running?
Right now they're stock but the plan is for 32s. The breaks suck massively on it. It's usually a white knuckle ride on any non planned/short stop.... It's a little better for a few weeks after I manually adjust the drums, but because they don't seem to want to keep themselves in adjustment it doesn't last.

What's your take on the Vanco set up V/S the Rock Auto set up? AFAIK my rotors are stock (and I would think quality).

After upgrading to 31"s, the brakes started feeling undersized and unstable, going to 33"s, the brakes were unsafe at freeway speeds.
The stock knuckles have weak pad holders and are limited to the single piston calipers. Vanco uses a different, stiffer pad mount with the hardware coming from a Ford Explorer.
I tried ZJ rear discs and wasn't impressed, the front brakes are what need upgrading. I installed the 15' Vancos several years ago, with Centric rotors, 46mm dual piston calipers and EBC yellow pads. The brakes were very strong, when hot but the cold performance wasn't satisfactory. I switched to 48mm Sport-Trac calipers and Black Magic pads and what a difference, great cold performance and even better when hot, reassuring on long, steep downgrades.

WJ brakes are going to give you very similar brakes to the Vancos so if OTK steering is being considered, this is the way to go. It can be cheaper too.

My brother's XJ is on 30"s and the Power Stop package, from Rock Auto works fine, about as good as it is going to get.

So, IMO, which front brake you run depends on how big a tire you ultimately plan on running, how you drive it and if you plan on keeping the D30. I like how powerful the Vancos feel.

Back