• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Arb or ruff stuff cover to help against case flex

DaveXJCO

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am new to this site but not to jeeps. I have installed many ruffstuff covers for customers and not many Arb covers. I am curious which one helps at keeping case flex down better in my Dana 30. I am about to toss a locker and some shafts up front for moab this month and would like to keep the case as rigid as I can. I do not have time for a truss as I have a big enough list to tackle before the end of the month as it is. One is in the near future. I will be running a set if 35 MTR kevlars that will be aired down pretty low. Who runs which? I am just looking for some good valid opinions. I have a ruff stuff on my Dana 44. Had it at the shop. I have access to a matching front. But I am not opposed to buying the Arb unit either.
ARB claims that their cover is designed with keeping flex down as a priority. Ruff stuff doesn't really mention that. I do know that the ruffstuff has a 1/2 inch plate as the base for the cover. That's pretty stout but I still feel it could flex, thoughts?

Last edited:
Ruff stuff cover, ballistic fab truss. Works for me.

With the stress 35s put on that tiny axle, I'd do all I could to strengthen it.

Go ruffstuff now. When you finally get time, use some leftover steel to truss the thing and build knuckle gussets. Ive used 1/4" flat steel or some 2x4 square tube .120 wall. you will be very happy you did it.

Ruffstuff is the only one with countersunk bolts. Countersunk bolts are the only ones that located the cover in place, all others with regular bolts a will loosen up and allow the cover to 'float' or have some wiggle room. People that have run hydro assist off a cover with straight bolts have sealing problems because of that tiny amount of movement, whereas ones with countersunk don't have the issues (myself included).

Thanks guys. All good points. I have the ruffstuff cover at the shop. Going to toss it on when I put my Arb in next week. I think I'm going to run the iron rock truss. Its pretty nice. Eliminates bar pins, moves spring perches back a little for us that like to move the diff forward a little, multiple track bar mounts, seems tough. And it comes with c pillar gussets with the truss. I also think it looks pretty cool as well. Good point about the counter sunk holes. I actually have an older rear cover for my 44 that doesn't have counter sunk holes. They actually didn't start doing that until 3 or 4 years ago. I'm changing diff fluids in both axles when I install my Arb, I'll toss my rear cover into the press and counter sink the holes, I have a bit that goes up to 3/4. Can't wait for my first moab trip this month. I can't make the naxja meet, but I'll be there the 25th-27th.

ARB may be a good cover but I prefer my RuffStuff. One reason is the Ruffstuff carries more gear oil than the ARB. I run Ruffstuff on my Dana 44 and my 30.

Good point about the counter sunk holes. I actually have an older rear cover for my 44 that doesn't have counter sunk holes. They actually didn't start doing that until 3 or 4 years ago.

They've had the countersunk option ever since they started making covers. My old 30 cover had them and that at least 6yrs ago. Another thing I like better about the ruffstuff covers is the ability to weld stuff to it and easily modified. My front cover has hydro assist mounts on it and my rear cover was redone to match my 14b shave.

My ruffstuff cover with the countersunk bolts didnt really line up correctly. put all the bolts in loosely and some of them were off far enough that there was no way the countersunk heads were actually going to countersink. my matching rear 8.8 cover was the same way. But it was the beefiest D30 cover with all 1/2" plate.

ARB cover on the other hand had no problem.

They've had the countersunk option ever since they started making covers. My old 30 cover had them and that at least 6yrs ago. Another thing I like better about the ruffstuff covers is the ability to weld stuff to it and easily modified. My front cover has hydro assist mounts on it and my rear cover was redone to match my 14b shave.

Ruffstuff no longer offers the counter-sunk option.

That's a bummer. At least I'll never have to worry about replacing mine.

the last axle I built I countersunk the holes myself before I sold it

I plan on doing it for the one I have now.

10 minutes on the mill... easy enough.

my bigger concern is the hardware. im not a huge fan of allen headed bolts. they get all clogged up with dirt and mud. are there any other options?

I use the phillips head ones.

but they will still get stuff in them. a quick blast with some brake clean and they are good as new.

Ruffstuff is the only one with countersunk bolts. Countersunk bolts are the only ones that located the cover in place, all others with regular bolts a will loosen up and allow the cover to 'float' or have some wiggle room. People that have run hydro assist off a cover with straight bolts have sealing problems because of that tiny amount of movement, whereas ones with countersunk don't have the issues (myself included).

make one of these for the thirty

10 minutes on the mill... easy enough.

my bigger concern is the hardware. im not a huge fan of allen headed bolts. they get all clogged up with dirt and mud. are there any other options?
well not only that but the allen heads get one beatup from the rocks and it's hard to get the allen in an oblong head, better off with traditional bolts

I dont think anyone here that has posted yet, can make an educated opinion on the thread topic...

it appears no one here (yet) has ever installed or knows much about the ARB D30 cover?

The ruff stuff cover is nice. Very. Its strong, and thick, yes. It can be had with counter sunk holes yes.

The ARB cover does not simply bolt on to the face of the diff cover surface like every other cover out there.

The ARB cover also extends around the center chunk and uses the cover to prevent the opening from growing. Not the 5/16" bolts.

I suggest anyone that is truly trying to compare here on the ARB to any other, actually pick up a ARB D30 cover and look at it. Not only will your wallet be much lighter, but you will see tangs on either end of the cover face that key around the outside ends of the center chunk opening. At 2 & 4 oclock and then again at 8 & 10 oclock. As well as counter sunk holes, a fill hole that has a dipstick that you can actually use to get the level correct (you cant use the fill hole on 99% of aftermarket covers as a fill level, its way to high), a drain and magnetS inside.

Now Question should also ready.... Is a ARB worth the money over a Ruffstuff. If that was the question that would have been asked, I would have said No.... just go ruff stuff...

I was able to find this image with a quick search to help simplify what I am talking about...

502515d1352171657-arb-diff-cover-install-gear-oil-img_20121105_170856.jpg

Back