• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on cleaning engine bay!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok got the engine, harness, and vacume hoses out this weekend. I really want to do some claening and painting while its empty. I tried some foaming degreaser but it only did half a job. I was thinking of useing my media blaster to clean up in there. The only things in there are the vacume canisters, both master cylanders, stearing box and power stearing pump. Any thoughts or advise b4 I start blasting some type of media in there? Or a better way to clean it and strip it for a coat of paint?

I wouldn't use a particle blaster, regardless of the medium used.
There is too much chance of blasting to bare metal, ensuring future rust IMO.

If you're gonna paint, consider removing the vac canisters and everything else that prevents easy acess to the bay surfaces.

The absolute best treatment would be actual hot steam to melt the petrol/sand gunk and hi-pressure remove the assorted crud.
Perhaps there's a mobile steam cleaner in your area, or you could tow the rig to a shop with steam.

Lacking actual steam, I would do a multi-step liquid/scrub cleaning:

1. With plastic disposable putty knife, mechanically scrape off all built-up chunks of oil/mud/grease/dirt.

2. High pressure water blast (rental shop should have a decent one for about $25-40/day; blast your foundation or other neglected surfaces while you have it).

3. Apply a solution of Tide & TSP (actual Tri Sodium Phosphate, not 'TSP Substitute', you need the phosphates to dissolve petroleum products in addition to the detergents in the Tide); make sure you don't let this solution or runoff get into the waterways, as phosphates are really bad for fish and plants.
Scrub with assorted brushes.
Reapply the solution and allow to set.

4. Repeat high pressure water blast.

5. Finish with a foam engine cleaner that doesn't require a hot engine. This will remove the last vestiges of petroleum produts.

6. Rinse with water.

7. Getting the crud out of the seam spaces will be tough, might even require toothbrush work with SimpleGreen. But it's critical to removing contaminants prior to painting.

If there is ANY rust, mechanically scrape/wire brush all loose rust, then apply Naval Jelly to dissolve rust to bare steel.
Rinse, dry, and immediately apply a good rattle-can oil-based primer to prevent return of rust to the raw surfaces.
Protect the metal beneath the battery against future acid attack with a rubber coating like Herculiner.

IMO, an engine bay looks best in white, so one can better see sources of leaks. But, you have to keep it clean which is a PITA, especially if you do mud wheeling.
We don't do much mud in Phoenix. :D

Good luck.
-Rick

I find LPS Precision Clean to be an effective "envirinmentally friendly" solvent for most work like this, and I'd use a pressure washer if I couldn't get live steam. Seconds on the media blaster - unless you are going to repaint the engine bay, don't bother. You'll strip paint no matter how careful you are and will either get cancered or repaint (and a repaint of the engine bay is a LOT of prep work!)

5-90

maybe i missed it, but im guessing the engine is out...ive found that gunk engine degreaser works really well. after that, try "scrubbing bubbles" bathroom cleaner and paper towels. it wirked really well on my civic when i did the motor swap in it. just a thought.

(im not sure how environmentally safe this is, you might check..)

-cam

A self-service car wash works good, but you'd have to tow or trailer it there. I've also been pleased with CRC's aerosol cans of engine cleaner.

use cheap hand cleaner (the cream)

the stuff is AMAZING!

wipe it on, rub it around a little and then rinse all the dirt off.

before:
mj6.jpg

after:
mjdone05.jpg

*note, use of cream hand cleaner does not add extra cylinders, air conditioning, multi-port fuel injection or cruise control. This requires a much stronger chemical agent :D

Last edited:
WOw!

CheapXJ that thing is worse than mine! Thanks guys I got some Goop and Gunk from wally world last night.

RixXJphx... What is TSP (actual Tri Sodium Phosphate, not 'TSP Substitute? Is there a generic name that I might know?

Re: WOw!

Ghost said:
RixXJphx... What is TSP (actual Tri Sodium Phosphate, not 'TSP Substitute? Is there a generic name that I might know?
It's just generic 'TSP', one brand name is Savogran, see
http://doityourself.com/store/6835375.htm

Used to be the active ingredient in Tide/Cheer/etc., 'til the ecology movement of the '70's.
Now it just comes in a box, about the size of a cake mix.

Because of its environmental impact, it isn't highly promoted but it's still on the shelf at Ace Hardware, maybe Home Depot in the cleaning crap aisles. Often used for cleaning mildew stains from foundations.

-Rick

Back