• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waterproofing with dielectric grease

1998xjspt

NAXJA Forum User
what exactly do i need to apply dielectric grease to in order for my XJ to not turn off and keep running while in deep water? i already stripped carpet, sealed lights and extended ll breathers and have cowl snorkel.

Is it really a 1998 as your handle would imply?

If so, I'm thinking that want to seal and extend the vent on the the distributor.
I would apply dielectric grease to all spark boots at the coil, distributor, and plug.

Then I suspect that you want to get rid of your mechanical fan so you don't throw a belt while you are underwater.

You will probably want to disconnect, Dielectric grease all electrical connectors and put them back together.

Then, if you are real serious about this whole submarine experience, you will probably want to extend your exhaust above the water line.

What you mean with deep water? I have crossed some deep mud pits without too much trouble. Just a Safari snorkel and a good set of wires, rotor, distributor cap and new sparks. Even with all the hood submerged all the cylinders run without missfires.

But nothing like an old diésel engine for that kind of crazy thing.

Back