• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97' electrical problem

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well my jeep is having a fit, awhile back I posted about a tranny's problem and where after hard acceleration, my tranny would act like its "slipping" well I'm fairly sure now it's a electrical problem because I have noticed it a few times before but when ever I do accelerate, the volt meter would go up and sometimes my gauges would spaz out. Well I've connected the two together and something is allowing to much voltage to go into my electrical system I think? I know higher rpm will increase voltage but not all the way to 19?! Is this a voltage regulator that's failing? Or something else?
97' 4.0l aw4

Voltage is regulated by the PCM.

LOAD test your battery--a failing battery can result in overcharging.

The battery is new, but I will test it. Is there anything else that can cause my electrical system to spike with power and disrupt my transmission and gauge cluster? I'm noticing it more now, if I do a fairly hard throttle from 1-2k to 3k Rpms you can see the volt meter go up and you can see my gauge lights go brighter.

So the battery and alternator were tested and they both tested good, so I'm a bit stumped as to what's allowing more volts/amps to enter my system and spaz out my electronics and quite possibly be causing my solenoid to spaz out itself inside my tranny?

Back