• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intro... hi i have a MJ and they rock =)

bummpy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi yall, just throwin out my intro, pics of previous Jeeps and some photos of my current MJ!

The current MJ is a '87 with the 4.0/5spd d44:yelclap:/d30, i have a few dreams for it, and im planning on driving it from Detroit to Reno come November/December to be a ski bum at lake tahoe again:sunshine:

My Jeep has blown the motor since buying it last November, so i found a complete 4.0 w/141k on it from a '92 XJ and plan in swapping it in but still plan on using the renix stuff so i dont have to change the ecm and any wiring.. i bought the truck last year to be a plow truck but the motor blew before i could do anything to it.. needless to say, i have a plow and salter all ready for this thing but may not be using it this year!

The ideas that i plan on doing to the MJ are plain and simple in my mind, what they turn out to be in the next 2 months should be interesting to say the least...

The potential mod list:
*3" lift if any, just to clear 31's, my old 2wd MJ ran 31's on a 3" lift and i really liked its road manners and feel that this one would hold its own the same way
*woodgrain dash and white faced gauges
*some kinda short throw shifter, do they make em for the ba-10(assuming thats the trans i have?)
*a decent header for the 4.0 (any suggestions?? i had a thorley on my YJ and it sounded mean! but it was $$$$) ill throw on a banks or borla catback too if i can find one, hopefully not just a muffler..
*im not sure if my d30 is vac disco but im assuming it is and wanna do the longer axle shaft swap and throw in a aussie locker or some kinda lunchbox locker in the front and rear if applicable, assuming the d44 isnt a posi (if it is, ill leave it alone)
*re-do the headliner in some kind of sweet fabric, hopefully molding on a center lighted console thing and possibly a soundbar out of fiberglass or maybe one from a XJ molded onto it somehow?
*re-do the speakers, components in the doors, some tweeters molded into the doors, 2 amps, 0 gauge wiring/maybe 4 gauge, capacitor, molded power inverter into the box, and a W7 or L7 in a single box behind the seat, visor monitors, in dash dvd player (or i can run aux inputs to the receiver i already have on it to watch dvds/ps3!)
*id like to swap in some buckets and do a custom console but that depends on how rusty the floor is (for the sake of brackets)
*fix up the rusty floors and rockers, welding if i can get a welder otherwise i can live with epoxy, rivets and self tapping metal screws :)
*run some sweet setup for the wiring i have in it already(plow wiring, salt box wiring, beacon light, rooftop hazard light, strobes in taillights... possibly create a switch box in the blanks on the cluster or maybe where the ashtray is
*some under hood mods hopefully to include dual batteries, OBA, a good tuneup, a WJ steering pump w/ a durango steering box, one ton steering if i can get it for a good price, dual alternators or a H.O. single one, new/beefy radiator
*5% tint all around with a 6-8" strip across the windshield with the windshield being tinted 35% and limo on the cap for my trip to insure everything in the bed wont be seen! (outta sight outta mind!!)
*general maintenance on it, including a trans flush, full syn in the motor and everywhere else, flush the diffs, flush the coolant...

i think thats about all i wanna accomplish with this MJ at the moment... onto some photos of the past and present, so yall can see my "style" per say...
past:::
my first MJ, was red on day one, day 2 it was spray painted black, then the madness of the MJ begun...

My 2nd Jeep as my first one caught fire on day 1 of ownership because it had a sbc383...

1st XJ, bought it for $400 with blown motor, trans blew after a month so it had an all new driveline after purchase.. swapped the 242 for a 231, ended up swapping wheels, throwing some 29x9.5's on it and it did well, very well in the mud! in the end, i think i put 28k on it in a year and sold it for $2400

2nd XJ, picked this up for $2k with some issues, new flywheel and some beatin on it and she sold for $5900..

present:::

Last edited:
This might help ya if you don't know it already:

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 03/28/13

Hey cruiser, i got the same info from ya back in the spring on comancheclub, thanks alot! as thats exactly what imma be doin in the next month or so to get her back on the road!! the block i ended up getting was from a '92 w/140k on it, so shes in her prime!
thanks again for the info, ill actually print it up this time, haha!

im also debating on doing the "trendy" swap of the front end as well, would i be able to swing by just by getting the front clip or are fenders and a hood needed? can i just get the grill/surround, HID's and clear marker lights and have it look good or will it be rigged lookin??

Last edited:
cruiser - haven't been on jeepforum in a minute but ill check it out... congrats! thats dope!

thedude - they're fully functional as well... there's holes cut out in them so i got the ram air effect! i should try to get some mesh wire and put it in there, maybe it'd look better?

Back