• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Muffler and tip

Asnyder14

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ 4.0L engine. I wanted to get a new muffler and tip, I was looking at a flowmaster super 44 2.25" and a 2.25" straight pipe...will these fit without buying extra parts? If they won't, what else would I need to buy to make them fit? Thanks.

Took a peek at the Flowmaster vehicle application guide--apparently their kit doesn't fit XJs with 4.0 built after -1-20-00.

When you say straight pipe, are you thinking of using straight pipe from muffler out the back of the vehicle? Then no, it should be bent and over the rear axle.

Have you gotten an estimate from a local muffler shop to do the job?

Took a peek at the Flowmaster vehicle application guide--apparently their kit doesn't fit XJs with 4.0 built after -1-20-00.

When you say straight pipe, are you thinking of using straight pipe from muffler out the back of the vehicle? Then no, it should be bent and over the rear axle.

Have you gotten an estimate from a local muffler shop to do the job?

I was planning on doing it myself. I've heard other people using flowmasters but I guess they just have older jeeps.

Here is what you need:

-Flowmaster super 44. Here is the correct one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-942447/overview/

-3 exhaust clamps for 2.25" pipe

-any clamp on tip for 2.25" pipe if you want a tip

-12" section of 2.25" pipe that is flared on one end so it will slip over another piece of pipe. These can be found at autozone.

-Sawzall, or a tailpipe cutting tool which can be rented from autozone

Step 1:
Cut out old muffler. Cut the pipe right in front of and right behind the old muffler.

Step 2:
Measure the old muffler end to end. Cut section of pipe you bought and cut it so that when inserted into the flowmaster it measures the same as the old muffler. Flowmasters are shorter than the stock muffler, so you need an extra piece of pipe to make up the difference. Once you measure what length you need, cut the end of the pipe that is not flared. Insert the non-flared end of the pipe into the "inlet" of the flowmaster and clamp it with the clamp.

Step 3:
Clamp the "outlet" end of the flowmaster onto your tail pipe

Step 4:

Clamp the flared end of the pipe you attached to the flowmaster onto the front exhaust pipe of your XJ

Step 5:

Cut turn down off rear of tail pipe, clamp tip onto the tail pipe.

Step 6:

Start up Jeep and check for leaks. Tighten clamps as necessary. I usually buy one or two extra clamps since they are usually cheaply made and break.

Here is a video of how mine sounded with the super 44:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAULFQttQuU

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

performance-curve.com has kits that are xj specific.

Back