• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unknown wire and plug under fender

Alanshore

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, despite the fact I have been reading with interest all about your smart solutions and mods for the best Jeep ever made! You have my thanks in advance for all the info you already provided and any answer to the following question.

I have a 2000 XJ Sport, 4.0L automatic.

Here's the question: I was looking for fog light wiring and plugs under the front of the car, behind the grille. I found the plug and wire pictured below (only one). The plug is not compatible with the OEM fog light plug, so I'm wondering what it is for, and if it is at all related to the fog lights.

Other relevant info:
I installed the OEM fog switch in the panel, plugged into the wire that was available there. I am assuming that this means there is wiring for fog lights in the car, but I'm ready to be proven wrong. Lots of people out there find different wiring in same year XJs.

Thanks again for all your help!

Alan

image.jpg

Last edited:
Where exactly is that, near the center of the front frame crossmember? Probably the overhead console temp sensor plug.

Thats for the outside temp sensor, the fog light plugs on the 99-01 XJ's are out bound further. More like in the Vac reservoir and horn area's.

Temp sensor plug for Overhead Console.

Search "factory fog lights". 97-01 factory fog lights are not plug and play. If your XJ did not leave the factory with fog lights installed, there are portions of the fog light wire harness not installed. You can use a factory original fog light switch and a relay/wires you install yourself.

I see. Thank you so much. At least if I get an overhead console I know where the temp sensor is. I'll keep looking around for fog wires. I'm afraid I'll have to wire them myself. Annoying, I just wanted extra light for the snow storms up here. None of the LED and HID kits I've seen on the web look that reliable.

I wish there were a good Jeep mechanic less than 1hr away from Boston.

Thanks so much for your help!

If your XJ didn't leave the factory with fog lights the external wiring will not be there. It's integrated into the front lighting harness. The plug is located down in the front left hand corner almost under the air cleaner.

scoobyxj speaks the truth. Look for the front lighting harness connector attached to
the inner fender, just below the airbox intake snoot.

Carefully examine the wires entering and exiting that connector. If you do have the
factory-installed fog wire harness - then you should be able to find a blue wire
attached to BOTH sides of that connector. If you do not have the fog light harness,
then you will find the blue wire only on the main harness side of the connector.

scoobyxj speaks the truth. Look for the front lighting harness connector attached to
the inner fender, just below the airbox intake snoot.

Carefully examine the wires entering and exiting that connector. If you DO have the
factory-installed fog wire harness - then you should be able to find a blue wire
attached to BOTH sides of that connector. If you do NOT have the fog light harness,
then you will find the blue wire only on the main harness side of the connector.

Back