• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700R4 tranny swap??

Forsaken_75

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of swapping out my tranny to 700r4. I know there's articles,treads of this swap. But I would like to hear from the people that have done it. tips tricks unforeseen proplems. Are you happy,would you do it again if you had to? Would you pick another tranny?

Do you have one available and that's your reason for swapping? What's wrong with the AW4/yours? AW4 can be built up pretty awesome as it is very similar to the Yota A34. You should read up on it.
I would imagine you would have to create an adapter of some sort to use with the heep 4.0L
700R4 would be fine if you were running something GM underhood.

I have stick in there right now. But will be needing to change it to an auto. As for the tranny. I can buy one threw a friend for 100 bucks. I think it will handle 35s easier and someday a stroker .

Do you have the GM V6 or AMC four? If not, the THM700R4/4L60 won't directly made to the 6-242, since the bellhousing pattern is different (as I recall, most of the 4-150s use the GM Metric pattern, which is easy enough to find with the 700R4.)

If you have the 6-242, your options (without sourcing an adapter plate) are limited - the AW4 from another 6-242 will drop in - either bring the electronics and fit them as well, or make a manual control setup - or you can look for the old THM400 out of a full-size Jeep with Quadratrac - but you must use the BW transfer case with it.

What do you have, and what are you trying to do (other than the manual->auto swap?)

I have an 1989 , 2 Door,6" lift on 35. I-6,5 speed,231 x-fer. I want to swap the tranny to the 700r4. Have you done this swap out? or something close to?

Nobody bothers because the AW4 is a better transmission and bolts up easy as pie.

I have an 1989 , 2 Door,6" lift on 35. I-6,5 speed,231 x-fer. I want to swap the tranny to the 700r4. Have you done this swap out? or something close to?

It can be done, but it's just too much work (and if you get an early 700R4, it will last about a week. Through 1986 or so, they were only fit for scrap.)

The AW4 is a better transmission in pretty much every way, it's rather easier to find, bolts right up, and the electronic manual controls are easy. I'd take it over a 700R4/4L60 any day of the week!

What is the drive feature? Yes I want it to go. I know 0 about this tranny. Does it come in electric or manical auto? what are some up grades for it. Will a fully load du on 35s kill the tranny? help

Your questions don't make much sense, please clarify...

An AW4 will handle whatever as long as you gear your axles properly. I know people running them on 35s, 37s, and even larger tires.

It's got manual and electronic control - a manual shifter selects between P/R/N/Drive/1-3/1-2. In Drive, 2 solenoids select what gear (first through OD) it's in. In 3, they select what gear (first through 3rd) it's in. In 1-2, the overrunning clutches (iirc) are disabled hydraulically for better engine braking and one of the solenoids selects between 1st and 2nd. There is a torque converter lockup solenoid that you feed 12v to lock up the torque converter for better fuel economy on the highway.

I believe Fringe XVO (a vendor on here) can make you a full manual valve body, but not sure. RADesigns (another vendor on here) has a shifter setup that can control it as well. If you don't feel like spending money, you can put something together yourself, the AW4 is incredibly easy to control electronically, hell, you can do it with a couple toggle switches and a relay or two if you don't mind remembering switch positions, or a little more stuff if you do.

You just answer those hard to read questions. Thanks million . next Question. will a 4runner(Toyota ) tranny work? I may be able to buy a complete 4runner(with burnt motor)for 100.00. Will that work out?

Re: Re: 700R4 tranny swap??

You just answer those hard to read questions. Thanks million . next Question. will a 4runner(Toyota ) tranny work? I may be able to buy a complete 4runner(with burnt motor)for 100.00. Will that work out?

Go to your local junkyard throw a rock. Chances are it will hit a Cherokee with an aw4 in it. Swap it, do a little wiring and be done.
You'll never be able to get the other trannys to work as easily or as cheaply. Time is money.

Unlikely. The bellhousing, torque converter, and parts of the housing plus the geartrain and such are different, they're very closely related transmissions but not that closely. The A340H/A340E were used in a variety of Toyotas but they have the Toyota V6 and I4 bellhousing patterns not the Jeep/AMC V8/258/4.0 bellhousing pattern.

You can get an AW4 for really cheap. Like, really really cheap. I know people who have bought 3 for 60 bucks, I paid 75 bucks for a perfect one a few years ago, and I paid 150 for one when I REALLY NEEDED IT RIGHT THEN.

Stockton NJ, CA, or what? Check your local :NAXJA: chapter classifieds. Prices range a bit, in UT I hear they're worth 250 in good shape, but up here in the NAC they rarely sell for more than $100 because there are so many donors in the junkyards due to rust.

Last edited:
Back