• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" or 4.5" complete lift

wkandxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to lift my stock '99 either 3" or 4.5" but I've a few concerns. My intent for this is for daily driving and the occasional mud or snow on some trails, but not necessarily rock crawling. So I'll probably go with 31s or 32s on it.

With that said, if I went with a 4.5" lift vs a 3" lift, what additional mods or add one would I have to do? After reading around it seems there may be possible steering mods or drive shaft, but I wasn't sure if that was for crawling purposes. If I could lift 4.5" with just a stand alone kit that'd be great, but if its a monumental task for an extra 1.5" I might pass.

With brands I've searched around on here and I see just as many people bashing Rusty's and praising RC as there are the other way around. Just to name a couple. So with that, I'll probably purchase on price and completeness of the kit since they're all awesome and they all suck at the same time lol

I'm going to assume short arm? Going from bone stock its hard to say, you'd definately want a kit that comes with a double sheer track bar if you go 4.5. Also doing this will probably result in driveline vibes and require an sye, hard to say because some need em and some dont.

If your thinking of 31" tires id say 3", 32 or 33 id do 4.5".

Any brand has its ups and Downs, go with the kit that best fills your needs and most importantly, budget.

for that much, I would expect nothing else...I thought 1k was high

1k for a complete lift? What brand? You can piece together a lift much cheaper than buy, but for a complete ready to go kit (which is what the op wants) I haven't seen much for anything less than 2k that is quality. I'd be interested to check out what you have found though for sure.

If you want to do it once and then mostly forget about it, spend the money and buy a quality kit. If budget is the most important thing, then you might be in the wrong sport......but, of course, that goes for any sport. :)

Also, figure you might eventually go with bigger tires. If you do, you'll need to regear. If you'll never have the money or motivation to regear, then plan on sticking with no more than a 31" tire and then a 3" lift is easily enough.

1k for a complete lift? What brand? You can piece together a lift much cheaper than buy, but for a complete ready to go kit (which is what the op wants) I haven't seen much for anything less than 2k that is quality. I'd be interested to check out what you have found though for sure.

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-inch-ultimate-xj-old-man-emu-hybrid-kit-2/

For the OP - I'm a '99 owner myself and this is the kit that I went with and it sounds like it would be perfect for you : http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-inch-ultimate-xj-old-man-emu-hybrid-kit/

I appreciate all the responses. Budget isn't the only concern, but since I don't really do this for the "sport" as it's just my transportation from A to B, but sometimes there's mud/snow/trails between A and B.

And USN, that sounds like a great plan, but I really don't see myself doing much that needs some armor lol

What exactly is this hybrid kit? That page doesn't say what makes it a hybrid.

Thanks guys!

How about a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit? Add the track bar and shocks and you're good to go. Splits the difference on your height too. I ran one and found it to be a quality kit.

Im also looking to lift my 98xj but as for now im only going 3inches. one of my biggest questions is will 31/12.50/15 fit under it without rubbing?

You will be fine with 31s.

Keep in mind that almost everybody that does a 3" lift, ends up wanting to go higher or just does it, for a cost that is higher than going 4.5" from the get go.

If you think you are better than us, I would suggest the Rubicon 3.5" lift, that is easy to upgarde to 4.5" after the fact..

Keep in mind that almost everybody that does a 3" lift, ends up wanting to go higher or just does it, for a cost that is higher than going 4.5" from the get go.

If you think you are better than us, I would suggest the Rubicon 3.5" lift, that is easy to upgarde to 4.5" after the fact..

Funny, I went from stock to 4.5, to 6.5, then up to 8, now back down to 3.75, and am looking for a 2 inch lift coil and full leaf pack with leaf sliders.

33x10.5's on stock wheels and cut fenders.

How about a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit? Add the track bar and shocks and you're good to go. Splits the difference on your height too. I ran one and found it to be a quality kit.
Not bad. Great reviews, actually. Did you do the install yourself?
I'm also reading that a YSE would be good with this, would you recommend? Also, YSE install intimidates me, how difficult is it?

I really haven't looked at tires yet, but will do. I plan on lifting and throwing new shoes on at the same time.

Not bad. Great reviews, actually. Did you do the install yourself?
I'm also reading that a YSE would be good with this, would you recommend? Also, YSE install intimidates me, how difficult is it?

I really haven't looked at tires yet, but will do. I plan on lifting and throwing new shoes on at the same time.

I did, was pretty easy. I had some NAXJA locals help me as it was my first time doing suspension work. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I didnt do an SYE, but it was on a 94, and you can get away with a bit more on those.

I ran the 3.5" kit with 3/4" spacers up front, and a Ford 8.8 in the rear. Gave me about 4.25 when all was said and done, and was perfect with my 31's.

Back