• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tera 2 low, locked front end

90xj_zach

NAXJA Forum User
Question applies to trail rig only:

I'm not worried about what you think about welded spiders. I've been wheeling welded rears for a decade with no issues, but I never did take the plunge to do the front. I know it will make it hard to turn and even worse, it is rough on the Jeep's components. BUT, if I install the Tera 2 low kit, I can run the trail in 2wd and only engage when I approach a tough obstacle. Therefore, not putting lots of strain on EVERYTHING up front for an entire day out in the woods. My thinking is correct isn't it?

My jeep is a 98, so I don't have the vacuum disconnect. Otherwise I would do the cable trick.

Haha. Well I'm thinking that when literally no power is being put to the front axle, on mud/dirt conditions, it can't be that terrible. ....and I would like a 2 low kit anyway.

Your front will still be locked weather your in two or four and/or putting power to it or not. Your turning radius is going to suck balls. I wouldn't recommend it but to each there own some guys run spools in the front. Its not for me. What axle do you have up front any way?

If your gonna weld the front no reason to bother with 2-lo.

I'm with Bob. In 4 wheel drive, at least teh front would attempt to pull itself into a corner.. in 2 wheel drive, it would be like a sled.

Your thinking is incorrect. It is going to be WORSE in 2wd because you won't have the front pulling it around, the rear is just going to push.

Don't don't don't don't don't DON'T weld a D30. It's a horrible idea. Your turning radius will suck, you're going to hate it. You don't have hubs to unlock in 2wd so you can actually drive around on dirt roads (I know you said it's a trail only rig, but you don't just teleport to the trail entrance). It's going to be hell on not only your axle shafts, but every other component in the front-end including ring rear, carrier, ball joints, unit bearings, steering components, etc. On top of all that, you WILL overheat the power steering pump. It's going to hate your guts and let you know very loudly after only a few turns on a trail (tight or not) and then you're going to be really strong-arming it around the corners.

Don't do it. For yourself as much as for everyone else who wheels with you. Don't do it.

This is coming from the guy who has welded multiple rear axles and always loved it. I have a YJ with ONE TON axles and 42's, and an Atlas so I can do front digs. I welded the front Dana 60, and I HATE it, even with full hydraulic steering, a steering cooler, the ability to do front digs, and hubs I can unlock. It wears out front U-joints, my turning radius absolutely blows, I'm always having to jump out and unlock/lock the hubs whenever we're getting on/off the trail, and even with two power steering coolers and full hydraulic steering my PSC pump whines and moans once it's warmed up.

Finally, if you do do this... take a camera and post pictures of the aftermath.

Last edited:
my front locker got stuck locked once, and it was SKETCHY on the road. i could not make sharp turns whatsoever. it was bad. this was in 2wd.
horrible idea.

its a bad idea.
the only way you will know how bad it is , is if you weld it. Ive seen 2 welded dana 30s. One was a disco axle (he broke shafts all the time, even on easy stuff, stuff that*- ive never broken a shaft locked in over 7 years)
Id say dont do it. We dont have locking hubs, you are going to hate the thing after that. If youre trying to keep it cheap get a used lunchbox

my front locker got stuck locked once, and it was SKETCHY on the road. i could not make sharp turns whatsoever. it was bad. this was in 2wd.
horrible idea.

Same here. I could hardly get my heep back to my trailer. In 2wd on the road in would only go straight. I had to do a 90 point turn just going into the parking lot where my trailer was!

Same here. I could hardly get my heep back to my trailer. In 2wd on the road in would only go straight. I had to do a 90 point turn just going into the parking lot where my trailer was!
i almost drove straight off the road when i exited the trail after it got stuck. just pushed both tires straight on the pavement with the wheels turned. scared the poop out of me.

I am not welded up front, I have a lock-right(some give). steering was bad when in 4wd, it was a work out every time on the trail. I have locking hubs and tera 2low, locking and unlocking hubs all the time gets old. When driving with the front locked in(hubs) in 2 low it was definatly better then 4low, but not worth the cost/work of 2 low... it just tookt he edge off but was still annoying to turn. (i never had the problem with the front not turning thought)

I would rather put the money into hydraulic assist over 2 low. Ever since I put hydraulic assist on its been a dream on and off road. One finger turning no matter the obstacle in 4 low.

I would agree Don't weld the D30 (or any front diff) I know a few people who have welded fronts or ran spools, they all have removed them for arb's or Detroits.

Back