• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

part time light

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
So my part time light in my 90 xj is always on. I think it has something to with the vacuum disconnect on my front axle, but i have vacuum to the assembly. And I'm not entirely sure, but i don't think it engages. So I'm not entirely sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. And if any more info is needed, just let me know and i will try to get it.

I've thought about doing that and i probably will, I'm just wondering why it doesn't work if i have vacuum. Is there supposed to be a switch that locks it, or does it lock when you engage the t-case?

I've thought about doing that and i probably will, I'm just wondering why it doesn't work if i have vacuum. Is there supposed to be a switch that locks it, or does it lock when you engage the t-case?

Those front axles had more issues than just vacuum supply. Bad shift motors, bent shift forks, binding slider gears. Go ahead with your plan and eliminate the grief once and for all.

Thanks guys I'm just trying to learn more as i go, I'd heard of the system but never really got hands on withit till now. Just trying to figure out how it all works or is supposed to work before i ditch it for good.thanks for your help

So i did a little test, i strapped some zip ties to the front drive shaft and found out that it does spin when i put it in four. Still don't know why the part time light stays on though

interesting experiment. So, when you shift into 4x4, the front drive shaft turns (breaking the zip ties). Doesn't mean the vac disco axle (passenger side) is engaging. To test, find a gravel (not paved) area, put in 4x4 and turn tight. You should feel the front outside wheel "skip"..and feel the steering wheel pulse. Then try it in 2WD...should be no wheel skip or steering wheel pulse. Please, though, do not try this test on pavement...it's tough on parts.

Cool I'll give that a shot later today. i did notice that when i go back to two, the shaft still spins until i turn then it makes a slight thunk and stops spinning

It does skip, but ive noticed that coming from a fresh start, when i turn out of a parking space it seems to be engaged at first then pops out

I think your vacuum switch is bad. Its located at the rear of the t-case and has vacuum lines coming off of it.

That's if he has a 242 transfer case. Sounds like he has a 231 t-case. If that's true, the switch for the light is located under the coolant bottle. It's blue and white and has a vacuum hose and a wire on it.

part time light reviving thread

Ok, I have an 89 4.0 d30 vac disco,

Ok so here's my problem, everything worked great until today on my snow run, everything was fine until I stopped and saw a vac line just hanging, it was the green hose that operates the plunger? It's on the side... Anyway it snapped at the white 3 plug fitting that plugs into the metal lines, I had to fish a screw into the hole and pull out the remains so I could put the hose back in its home... Did that and everything appeared ok... That is until I put it back into 2wd, it goes into 2wd but the light stays on... Ok well here's the kicker, when I rev the motor it shuts off until it idles down then it comes back on, I guess my question is which hose controls the part time light? Should I assume the green hose has a leak now that I wasn't nice pulling out the broken guts?

The 4WD indicator is run off the vacuum disconnect MOTOR--it is the port closest to where the motor goes into the housing. That line runs from the motor up the firewall where the vacuum is changed into an electrical signal at the switch mounted on the firewall.

This was done in this manner so that IF the CAD axle doesn't engage, and you don't have 4x4, you don't get an indicator light saying you do.

Back