• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't forget SoCal, it's rattlesnake season....

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Be careful. And please keep an eye on your pets and young ones.....
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Redlands Boy, 6, Continues To Recover From Extremely Toxic Rattlesnake Bite[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]July 8, 2012 7:18 PM[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MISSION VIEJO (CBS) —[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A six-year-old Redlands boy continues to struggle in his recovery efforts after suffering an extremely toxic rattlesnake bite while camping with family on July 4th.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kara Finnstrom, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, spoke to the boy’s father about his son’s ordeal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Rivera family was enjoying a holiday outing near Camp Pendleton when disaster struck little Kaden.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Says Ken Rivera, “My son was chasing the dog. All of a sudden we heard a scream from out of the bushes. ‘I’ve been bit by a snake.’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Posted signed warned of rattlers, so they rushed Kaden to the ranger’s station.”Just from the time from the campsite to the ranger’s station, he was already foaming at the mouth, vomiting. He lost control of his muscles, and his limbs. He had a rash all over his face. He couldn’t breathe,” the boy’s father said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paramedics brought Kaden to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Doctors immediately realized the boy was bitten by a particularly nasty and toxic rattler, the Mojave Green.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Officials say a unique neurotoxin in the snake’s venom affects the human nervous system and can cause paralysis.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“It took 42 vials of anti-venom just to stabilize him,” said the boy’s father. “Normally it would just take a few … depending on the snake.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kayden has stabilized but his foot is still swollen – twice its normal size — and his thigh, so swollen, it is painful to the touch, according to Finnstrom.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Rivera family is breathing a sigh of relief that Kaden is stable, but doctors say there are continual concerns about infection and loss of muscle use.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The boy is being transferred to another hospital where his treatment will continue. [/FONT]

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...extremely-toxic-rattlesnake-bite/?hpt=us_bn10

Right now out here in Palm Springs it is hot and they come out at night.People think they don't, but they do. Need to keep your eyes and ears open

x2, being a dad of young kids, it's tough to hear about his struggle. Sounds like he's getting the best care possible, though.

We're seeing them these days @ my work. Funny cuz I work in an office, but our office is situated kinda in a scrubby area on a mountaintop surrounded by canyons. Perfect rattler spot.

My father in law stepped out of the trailer their office is in and saw a Green Mojave sitting at the bottom of the steps. He called animal control and they don't even mess with relocation. Just kill it on the spot and haul it away. They've had a couple rattlers show up on their property in the dog kennels...just chillin with the dogs, not bothered by them at all.

Yes this is sad to hear about the kids getting bitten by snakes or spiders. Im curious to what snakes taste like and how to prepare them on the grill

pin the head down, hack it off with a machete or a small axe. once the bastard stops twitching gut it and peel the skin back from neck to tail. hack the end off just before the uh... waste hole.. lol.

I like to salt it up a bit and cut it into bits kabob style, seems to cook more even that way. roast it like a chicken kabob over the camp fire and eat it up :D eat carefully though, depending on the snake they can have a lot of thin rib type bones.

Snake (any reptile really) is good over a fire because the meat doesn't dry out as easy as chicken, it's got a higher fat content but isn't greasy... good stuff. I'm partial to gator (but I haven't had the chance to take one of them myself lol)

Back