• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud clacking from axle....

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
have a loud sound coming from driver side axle. It does ˙åve new U-joints, so I am thinking maybe unit bearing? Noise is quit at idle louder as speed increased...

I know you said axle but... Front drive shaft ujoints good? When does the sound happen the most? straight, turning, etc.?... Also check your caliper mounting bolts maybe one came loose on you and its the caliper making all the noise.

If it has new u-joints, when were they replaced? Did this start shortly thereafter? If it were me, I would put new unit bearings in it while yanking the axleshafts anyway. And that 36 mm nut has to be cranked to 185 ft/lbs if I recall. Just my .02

36mm= 175ft lbs

Does it sound like a bowling ball going down the lane, with a growling noise while breaking? That my friend is a unit bearing if so.

Yeah, the 185 ft/lbs was the pitman arm nut. I only ever had to borrow my dads Snap-On torque wrench twice, and it was for these two occasions. Getting back to the OP, I'm guessing you have a '96 judging by the user name, so it could probably use new unit bearings anyway. I would stick with Timken

Back