• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling issue

99VAXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so here's my story I have a 99 4.0L and mods are as followed
2 core radiator for radiatorbarn.com
External trans cooler (trans running at 150 sensor in trans pan)
Everything is stock otherwise
ARB with lights
alright so for a while ive been trying to figure out why when travel at 55mph plus the coolant temp reads in between the 210 and the next mark with/without a/c someimes right at 210 with heat on full blast it'll drop to 190ish so before replacing the radiator it wouldnt get above 210 I have made sure there's no air in system and replaced the cap with a 16lb stant lever
So my objective is to one again get the system to maintain under 210
:banghead:

how many miles? do you know the last time the waterpump was swapped out? corrosion on the waterpump impeller can cause poor flow. if it drops the temp with the heater on that rules out a plugged up heater core. how does the coolant look? anything floating around in there?

I would start with a jug of coolant system cleaner (the granulated kind not the liquid stuff) but you may dislodge some buildup that could plug up your new radiator. have someone sit inside and rev the engine while you look at the bottom hose to see if it's collapsing, if there is no spring inside (more and more common these days as companies cut corners) suction can cause the lower hose to actually almost completely close off under mid to high RPMs.

hope this helps. one thing that can be ruled out by your post is the fan clutch (if the over heating only happens when moving). did you put a new thermostat in it when you swapped the radiator?

173k same pump system was flushed when new radiator was put in thermostat was replaced prob a year and a half with a good Napa one and also flushed twice then and I got clean water before refilling and burping also hoses where replaced with new radiator less than six months ago cap was replaced today and resivor work right coolant looks okay

UPDATE
so this morning i drove to work and once heated up it stayed right above the 210 mark the whole 30 mile trip and stayed right around the same place sitting in the drive threw this morning temp outside is about 60 to 64

Everyone may swear by it.. but i have never even heard of radiator barn before, and i read every cooling system thread I see.

That said, the fact that it is two core or from any given supplier does not mean its not crappy (or that it is crappy, for that matter).

The fact that you removed an old radiator, installed a new one, and with it came cooling problems.. implies that you installed a crappy radiator. :)

Do you have anything blocking the airflow? Theres got to be an issue somewhere.. Even with a stock radiator/cooling system it should work just fine especially at that temp.

I just got my FFDynamics rad in the mail and for the price it seems like a great quality. Its all aluminum 2 core, maybe not a pretty as a griffen but almost half the price and it has a lifetime warranty. Several guys on here are running their setup. Look up jeeperjohns thread. ffdynamics.com

O and its made in the USA!:D

i dont think the electric fan was it.. john may say otherwise, but i seem to recall him still having the problem.

he wouldnt be the only one. i've got two near new fluid dynamics radiators in the garage i paid $50 each for after helping people replace them with better stuff. ;) i keep them around as spares, but the 3 core CSF out of the team naxja car will be the spare shortly as a griffon is going in.

Well hopefully I will have better luck with mine! I can't afford to keep swaping radiators! It seemed like a good product when I did my research. :confused:

i think if it were a horrible product, you would have heard that. it is not a horrible product.

is it the best product for the money? i don't think so no.

but not everyone holds their gear to the same standard either.

$239 for a CSF 3 row.

$450 for a ffdynamics kit.

I don't see that as being an argument with any merit at all. :)

You can buy just the radiator for about the same as the csf. The 450 comes with the fan kit. Besides don't you have two that you paid $50.00. That's 1/5 the price of a csf. I should have put up a WTB and maybe I could have saved some coin through you. :eek:

all moot to the point, though. :)

at the end of the day the stock cooling system should cool any 4.0 or normal stroker in most any environment.

good radiator in good shape.
good OEM water pump.
good 195* thermostat.
good fan clutch.
backflush the system.

If you are not cooling correctly, go back to step one. it is one of those items.

Back