• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks Torque Tube header install

awill110

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone! I purchased a Banks Torque Tube for my 2000 XJ and I have run into some serious difficulty getting it installed. I removed the stock manifold with out too much difficulty, but bolting everything up is proving difficult.

I got the header on and screwed in all the bolts for the intake part way. I slid the header on the dowels and the bolts. I am able to get to all of the bolts except for one. It is the one located on the bottom, second from the firewall. The tubes on the header prevent access to this bolt and my hands are small but not small enough to get far enough in to get a wrench on it. Any ideas or tricks to try?

The motor is still in the vehicle and I would prefer to not have to pull it out. That seems like way more work than it is worth.

Thanks!

I found it to be really easy to reach my hand down if I unmounted the P/S pump and bracket. Then I could reach my arm straight down under the headers from the front. Oh, and if you left the air box in place pull that first. So much more room.

i had an issue with that same bolt when doing an apn header/99-up intake swap. i ended up using a stud in that location with a washered nut(like the ones at the ends of the manifold/head). still a pain in the ass, but much better than the freaking bolt that could not be put in place with the header installed.

I have removed the air box, PS pump, radiator and front cowl so that I have plenty of room. I have been fighting this for a while, so I figured I might as well pull out all the stops!

I can see the bolt from the front of the engine, but can't reach in far enough with a wrench to get to it. Tried a socket and a knuckle, but there isn't enough room between the head of the bolt and the pipe to get a socket on it.

I may go with the stud idea if I can't get it soon.

I had that one give me a problem. My son put it up and towards the hole from below with his hand between the block and header. Me from above I was able to hold it in with my contorted thumb and he from below was able to get an open wrench on it and turn it 1 flat at a time. No other way.

If you aren't using these then you should get a set.
31CpVWTmrSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Universal socket joints make working on the manifolds an easy job.

That is a tricky screw on any XJ header install... from what I've experienced and also what I've read. Assuming the engine isn't out of the XJ on a stand.

Crows foot socket or ratchet wrench (w/a swivel head) are the 2 best options I'd say.

BTW, does your '00 XJ have the California Emissions Dual Pre-Cat pipe? Did you take any pics of the process? I'm going to have to replace the pre-cats on my '01 XJ and was thinking about just doing the header, pre-cats and cat-back all at once. Would love to get your impressions of the Banks headers...

Even the 9/16" swivel socket won't help on this particular bolt. Every other one it is great. Best spent $.

Thanks for all the input. I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'll take a few pictures and post them for reference.

I have tried the swivel socket, but as CobraMarty says, it is totally useless on this particular bolt with the Banks header.

Redsnake, my '00 has the CA dual pre-cat pipe. I don't have pictures of the process, but I can take some pictures of the reassembly and post them. That should help a bit. At least you'll know what you're getting yourself into!

Thanks for all the input. I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'll take a few pictures and post them for reference.

I have tried the swivel socket, but as CobraMarty says, it is totally useless on this particular bolt with the Banks header.

Redsnake, my '00 has the CA dual pre-cat pipe. I don't have pictures of the process, but I can take some pictures of the reassembly and post them. That should help a bit. At least you'll know what you're getting yourself into!

Thanks for the response. I've swapped headers on my old '96 XJ so I'm familiar w/the process, just not sure how much more of a headache I'm looking at since I need to replace my pre-cat pipes too. :)

All right, I uploaded some pictures and have the links below. Note how little clearance there is between the bolt head and the header. When the intake is put in, the bolt is extremely difficult to reach. The tube prevents a socket and extension from working from the side. It also prevents a swivel socket from working. The only thing I have been successful at getting on there is a box end wrench, but I need one that has a foot long handle. Once the intake is on, I can't get the wrench on the bolt.

Maybe I get a cheap wrench and weld on some

In this pic, the intake is off so that you can see the location of the bolt and how close the fourth tube is to the bolt. The fourth tube gets in the way and prevents a socket from being able to fit on the bolt.
photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8723041@N03/7351904508/in/photostream

View from the front of the engine (the intake is removed so that there is enough light). You can see how far back the bolt is and how narrow the space is. The third tube squeezes really close and makes it difficult to get a wrench on the bolt.
photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8723041@N03/7166694749/in/photostream

Ratcheting box ends are a god-send when working on the exhaust manifold but I don't know if it'll help any with that manifold design.

Back