• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wipers/turn signals/radio all out

jblack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ, 4.0 with a 5 speed and having some electrical problems. The turn signals, wipers, and radio are not working. I have replaced the ignition switch because I read that was the solution. None of them work still, and now when I tried to start the Jeep and everything went dark. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? I am close to wiring the signals and wipers to switches and being done with it.

Did the Jeep start after changing the switch? If not, you probably need to adjust the position of the switch. As you probably noticed, there is very little adjustment possible but it can make a big difference in whether everything works including the starter at one extreme and the accessories at the other.

No, it will not start at all now. And yeah, there is not very much room to move it around. But I will give that a try tomorrow.

When I replaced mine, I had to fiddle with it to get the starter to activate. I got tired of messing with it before getting the switch accessory position to work and just put the radio on a separate switch. This better in some respects anyway in that you don't have to mess with the key to have the unit on.

This shouldn't be a problem for you but note that wiring any of these items with a simple switching circuit will back feed the other components on the circuit. A diode or relay will prevent this, otherwise full current for all components will flow through the switch.

Check the fuse, fuse holder, and the wires and wire connectors at the ignition switch and the fuse box for the radio, wipers...., but it sounds like the ignition switch needs to be adjusted. There is about 3/8" of play in the lock down position, and it usually takes a few tries to find the sweet spot.

While you are under there, do me a favor and take a few photos for me and post it here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245657144#post245657144

I need a look at the Clutch Master cylinder braces on yours, under the dash please!!!!

I adjusted the ignition switch and the jeep is starting again, it did not fix anything else though. I have checked the fuses, replaced the flasher relay, replaced the ignition switch, and I am running out of ideas. Could the multifunction switch be the problem? I am going to the pick and pull tomorrow and i am thinking about grabbing a whole steering column while I am there (i need a new steering wheel too).

It will probably be burned contacts and wires between the ignition switch bulk connector and the ignition switch and or the fuse box, the brown wire, in my past experience.

Have you checked the grounds? Renix (87-90) is very bad about ground problems.

Put a meter under there and trace the power, hot signal starting at the fuse, both sides, then to the ignition switch, brown wire!!!

Back