• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case options...

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
well ive hit a snag on the build. i need to get my case fixed up for hevy trail use (sye, good internals, etc..) the current case is a 231, my xj is a 2000sport. i know it needs a output shaft bering, im anticipating the chain having some stretch to it, and while im in there should i just buy a full rebuild kit for it? and ill need a SYE kit. buying all this will land me around the $500 mark for parts. then theres the problem of me not haveing any case knowedge, at all. and no tools fo such a job. so all said and done ill be into the current one 600 +/-

or i could shop/hope i can find one ready to bolt in for $2-300...

i dont want to get into it more than $300, if i find a used one i should be able to get a bill out of mine bringing me down to $200 total cost.
im not opose to rebuilding the one i have in there now. but my thaughts are, for all that i could hook up with Kris, and work out the details for a 231/231 doubler.(the priceing is comperable)

so i ask. what would you do... And why? im trying to button up final plans for my build. keeping price as low as possable, im running out of funds. its moveing quick.

thank you

I myself need to overhaul my 231 too and I think Im going the route of fullsize Dodge 6 planetary gear set and thick chain I have my Chilton and that 4x4 garage does the XJ so I think I should be able to pull it off also Torx did a great color picture rebuild .So I say fix the one you have already .

New Process/New Venture chain driven transfer cases are really fairly simple to rebuild. You can replace just about everything except for the rear needle bearing on the front output shaft without any special tools except for a good pair of lock ring pliers. No shims to worry about inside. About all that you do have to worry about is getting stuff stacked on the shafts in the right order and facing the right way. A shop press is sort of handy for a bearing or two, but those can be put in by hand with a bench sledge & drift pin.

One real advantage you'd have by rebuilding is that you know what you have on the inside. A used t-case is a crap shoot.

Like the 'punk said, spring for the 6 pinion planetary and the wide chain kit if you can.

I vote rebuild what you have.

Agreed on rebuilding. I used a HF press with mine and do not remember any real hurdles.

Rebuild what you have and put the SYE. You said funds are tight, but if you can figure out a way, you should spring for the 2-low kit while you are at it.

If your going to do a hack n tap check this out. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm
With yours you will only need the yoke (about $90.00 at six states) and another front drive line. I've been running mine like this for years with no problems. It took me about an hour to install with the case still in the Jeep.
Dirtbound also offers the HnT kit, later model is cheaper as it doesn't need the add'l seal.
im thinking abut pulling the case today, spliting it. and seeN just how bad things are in there today...
I would say, depending on what you find, 6 planetary, possible chain. A double would be awesome, but not totally necessary.

John,

Is your case making noise or leaking? If not, I personally wouldn't worry about doing an complete overhaul. 231's are damn near bulletproof. I know several people who have ran them bone dry, and they still kept going for years to come.

Get a full SYE (AA, PORC, etc), and call it good. It'll give you a new rear output bearing anyway. The chain on Jeepforceone had over 280K on it. If yours isn't giving you any trouble now I wouldn't worry about it.

You said funds are tight. Do the full SYE now (~$200). Install is a breeze. Then as funds allow I'd recommend purchasing the Terra 2Low (maybe a project for next winter?). You'll love it, especially with the front Grizzly. At that time you'll have to split the case again to install it (again, not that hard), and you can do the chain/planetary upgrade if you feel like it.

Personally I wouldn't go the hack-n-tap route. If you plan on splitting the case anyway, why wouldn't you just go with the HD SYE? Here's a comparison between the stock main shaft, and the AA main shaft. The bottom one is the new shaft, and it's turned the wrong way, but you can see the difference in size.

P1070041.jpg

My .02

Back