• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" front axle

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone experience with the installation of a high pinion Ford 9" front axle in their XJ?

I've installed one and am having loads of problems with routing the exhaust. :flamemad:

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

You must be running it passenger drop? More lift or move the axle forward. Hard to think how this would be an issue. Pics are best.

Turn the axle upside down.

Why didn't I think of that!!??

The problem comes with trying to keep a reasonable upward articulation and the size of the pumpkin.

I have alreday removed the header once and welded in a new down pipe in a higher postition. Then we kept the exhaust pipe as high as we could to allow upward space for the pinion and drive shaft.

I recently had to go with a twin CV joint driveshaft and am back with the drive shaft hitting the pipe. I alreday know an easy answer is limiting the upward articulation, or adding more lift than the 5" I alreday have. I would like to keep the bumpstops as they are and not go any higher on the lift.

I have removed the header again and am cutting off the collecter pipe with the intent of welding on a new one with even a sharper 90' angle to possibly keep the pipe higher.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

You can see my first attempt at a higher collector here:

IMG_1297.jpg

I just didn't know if someone out there had come up with some idea I hadn't thought of before.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I have an HP 9 in mine but running 7.5" of lift and my center section is offset 1" toward the driver side so it cleared my exhaust with minimal massaging. Have you thought about bringing the exhaust forward around the front of the oil pan like a TJ? That looks like it might solve your issue.

I have an HP 9 in mine but running 7.5" of lift and my center section is offset 1" toward the driver side so it cleared my exhaust with minimal massaging. Have you thought about bringing the exhaust forward around the front of the oil pan like a TJ? That looks like it might solve your issue.

This is a good idea if I had more lift. We discussed it with the muffler shop. Unfortunately, with the limited lift I'm running and the upward articulation the top front of the pumpkin just kisses the Track Bar, ( you can see in the picture where, at max upward flex, the track bar just touches the front of the pumpkin) so there just isn't any space to route it around the front of the oil pan.

IMG_1302.jpg

Also, I'm running short control arms, Currie's with Johnny Joints, I think the 5 1/2 lift is about the max I can do with the short arms.

So for now I'm back at modifying the header, off came the lower collector,

IMG_1304.jpg

And here is the new lower collector with a very tight 90' so we can route the pipe very high.

IMG_1305.jpg

We'll see,

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I have a Rockjock D60 with the Huge pinion snout and a true dual clifford at 7.5" of total lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GCK81lIeM&feature=player_detailpage#t=14s

that shows the collector out area. BARELY clears, but does all the way to stuff adn full side to side articulation, of a 35" tire and unmodified anything sheetmetal in the front except a little fender cutting.

Maybe Tim (Bent) will chime in.
He runs a Currie HP up front and a True Hi9 out back with very little lift.

Hans

Why the dual double carden joints? You have the highest pinion of any possible axle, and a reasonable lift height around 5", you shouldn't have a pinion angle problem. This has been done plenty of times before.

Why the dual double carden joints? You have the highest pinion of any possible axle, and a reasonable lift height around 5", you shouldn't have a pinion angle problem. This has been done plenty of times before.

That is what I would think!

We just couldn't get rid of the high speed vibration (65 mph plus) until we went the double carden. I'm at the point of guessing why in my case this was so. I do have a Klune V installed that made the front drive shaft even longer???? The NP241 has the larger chain???? I have RCV axles????

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Unless you had a bad driveline there is no reason that you should have front driveline vibes if you got the pinion angle correct. The longer driveline, the higher pinion of the 9", and the 5" lift height all worked in your favor. Now, if the 9" pinion location was offset so the position created an angle sideways, rather than up and down, that could be the problem, but you should be able to see that easily.

Before I did anything like installing that header, I'd grind that "Bird Dookie" weld off and get somebody to weld it up right. If that doesn't leak, its gonna break.

and if it breaks im sure he will re-weld it..... way to sound like an ars
its his jeep and his welds

And he posted it on a forum. This thing is going to see high heat stress, a little bit of pressure and maybe some torque, I think the weld criticism is warranted. At least get a grinder and clean your boogers up a bit. :jester:

Grinding boogers wont help with weld quality, and does nothing but masquerade non-tits welds.

Exhaust manifold welds are allways highly stressed.... good luck with that.

HARDLY bbq-brazed.

Grinding boogers wont help with weld quality, and does nothing but masquerade non-tits welds.

Exhaust manifold welds are allways highly stressed.... good luck with that.

HARDLY bbq-brazed.

Cleaning them up so you can see where you have NF issues would help ;)

Maybe I missed something but why is the double Cardon at the axle end and not at the transfer case like normal? I've never seen it at the axle end before, I would think you'd have much more room with it flipped around the normal way.

Back