• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj plus scout II axles

1990jeeperxj

NAXJA Forum User
alright just recently picked up a 1990 xj for $250 runs but has a knock and the body is great. to add to that i also got a set of dana 44s from a 1976 scout II with everything else. the only bad thing is that the front axle has a passenger drop. since this is a project i plan on going all out on it. i will be putting 37in military tire on it and chopping the back half off. but what i need is a drivetrain combo that will be easy to get ahold of and a passenger side drop xfer case so i can use the axles. let me know what would be good for it. thanks :dunno:

405473_10150546107793305_589933304_8954460_1411364947_n.jpg

im not too keen on XJ drivetrain swaps, but from what i've read a "simple" v8 swap would be a TBI chevy 350 with the chevy trans (th350 or 400 i think?). a dana 300 is a passenger drop transfer case that could work. i would look in the jeep cherokee section in pirate4x4 since more people over there have done engine swaps, although there are people here who have done them. the easiest thing to do would be to repair or replace the 4.0 already in it. might even be able to put a dana 300 behind the AW4 but i dunno :dunno:

I'm sure more people will chime in

AHH that sounds like it would be a little easier than changing the whole set up. you think that a 4.0 would push 37s easily? not to sure what there capable of. the axles already have 4.56s.

Back