• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

self destructing front end

jaybo

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any suggestions why various components in my front end -specifically a u-joint, and a ball joint have died in quite a short while? I replaced all the ball joints and axle u-joints about 2 years ago and I just now have replaced one u-joint (it's been toast for about 6 months now..) and a ball joint. I don't drive my xj much in the summer (I ride my zx7r), and It's barely been on a gravel road! it's an '89 that I raised about 3.5" in Jan. of this year...the lift really shouldn't have anything to do with it because I remember the u-joint was broken when I put the lift in....
Thanks!

One possible cause is that there are parts (yolks) that are slightly bent. I have a couple spare axles which have imperfect yolks which causes U-joints to slowly disintegrate from the poor angles it being forced to operate at. An accident or wheeling u-joint failure can easily cause yolks to become non u-joint friendly.

Back