• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would motivate you to take part in the Adopt-A-Trail system?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
As you should know NAXJA is involved in the SBNF Adopt-A-Trail system. In my opinion our response isn't as big as the size of our club should be able to generate. We have a group of people that always show up to the maintenance days and meetings, another group that usually shows up to the maintenance days, and a lot of folks I've never seen at either.

What would motivate you to show up and put some work in? How can we reach you? It's not difficult work and there's a lot to learn. Most importantly this is what keeps trails open in Big Bear, if it weren't for the AAT Group and the club My Jeep Rocks we would have certainly lost Holcomb Creek two years ago just to name one example.

So, how can we get you? I'd like to see 2012 be the year NAXJA takes our AAT commitment seriously.

i will try and be alot more active this year . the only issue i have making the meeting is when they are during the work week.... weekends i can usually juggle.

i will try and be alot more active this year . the only issue i have making the meeting is when they are during the work week.... weekends i can usually juggle.

It's tough I'll agree but at least they're only quarterly meetings (and three of them at that, the October meeting is rolled into the BBQ). I might suggest trying to pull the "Hey, it's community service that we're doing" card with your employer, that's always helped me out.

my disability hinders me from these. walking, lifting, and carrying stuff. but i have offered up me trailering the tractor (kabota B7300) if it and I would be any help. unfortunately i need a little advance on when. scheduling it in with the wife's work and me babysitting.

If arrangements can be made I'd be glad to pick somebody up along the way to either do a maintenance run or a meeting. Usually I have extra room in the vehicle.

No Julio, you cannot sit on my lap.

i'm new to the club and right now i have a broken finger so i'm fairly useless, but i'd be happy to help out when i can. we pretty much do the same thing in the mountain bike community.

i'm new to the club and right now i have a broken finger so i'm fairly useless, but i'd be happy to help out when i can. we pretty much do the same thing in the mountain bike community.

You can point can't you??

Sounds like a foreman to me..

You can point can't you??

Sounds like a foreman to me..

Pretty much ;)

You don't have to be operating at 100% to take part in a maintenance day, we'll find a use for you. We're working for the government, we can always use safety officers and traffic directors. :patriot:

well i agree that the effort is worth the pay off...

the problem with asking the employer to give me a break is that i am the boss.. i'm the manager.. so i am responsible for to much lol.

but enough excuses.. i will make a bigger effort and find ways.. just cant this time... have work - birthday party and house hunting on the run day

New member, but looking forward to helping out in the future. I wish I could make the clean up this Saturday, but I already have plans for the weekend.

Weekday meetings are difficult for me as I work full time and am also taking evening classes.

I know very little about this but am willing to learn more.I know gas and broken rigs are a problem but I thing organizing a carpool might help assuming we have petite men that will fit in the back seat.

What if i'm just lazy? I'm sure thats ninety percent of no-shows. :twak:

I haven't been to either in over a year, used to do the BB trail cleanup every year until this one, had too many people with me that weren't willing.

Generally this is what I have seen in the past AAT cleanups.

1-They are held during the week and very hard for someone to take off work(esp in this economy.
2-Limited knowledge, if you dont know how to or certified on a chainsaw we cant use you this time.
3-notification, alot of notification would help and not just 2-3 days notice. If a couple weeks notice and what the objective of the cleanup at hand.
4-Capable person(s) I think you should get the crew specific to the task at hand(trees-chainsaw, unstack rocks-be able to lift and move weight...I think you get it)
5-capable rig for area, what requirements on vehicle are needed for the trail.

An unorganized cleanup would consist of, "just show up and well find something for you to do" IMO you are babysetting at that point and nothing that needs to get done gets done.

Just my .02 worth

I was more involved in trail work/maintenance a few years ago when I had my yotas, and then later bronco. I did not have any children at the time so I had a lot more free time. When I owned my TJ I went out and volunteered a couple times, but since then it's REALLY difficult to make time. My wife works on the weekends and I work during the week so we have someone to watch him. So on the weekend it's just him and I and he's two and a full day on the trail doing maintenance/repairs with a toddler would be a nightmare. I have put in my time in the past and when my son is old enough to not be a danger to himself then I will be out volunteering again. The only way I could see me getting out and volunteering now would be if it was a kid friendly outting and I dont' see how trail maintenance and toddlers could ever co-exist. Give me a couple years and I will be out in full force again. At this point, the best I can do is offer my place up here in the mtns. to stay at so people could get a good jump on it early in the morning. I would be happy to loan out any shovels, axes, saws, etc. that would be needed.

We attended the AAT maintenance project last September and had a great time.

The reason we won't make this weekends' work: I didn't catch the thread in the AAT Forum in time and made other plans. I have too little time to read the different forums. Maybe a big fat reminder in the Socal Chapter for us blind idiots would help. :)

My buddy & I were talking about going this weekend - but he's got both his kids with him & they won't make it a full day. I've got a union meeting & have to raise some hell, so that's my excuse. Not to mention we both decided it'd be smart if I got my brakes working properly before going in a group :D stop good on 4 wheels but got some 3 wheel action last weekend & the damn thing rolled right off the rock the first attempt. Second I yanked the e-brake & that helped some!

We both agree that we would like to get more active with AAT. I plan on attending in the future. Last weekend was the first time I really got the jeep out. Found a pass or pass smog shop :D

Anyways what's this about chainsaw certified!? Really?

Lazyness is not the prob for me, its time. I need to know few weeks in advance to be able to get fundays aside (extra tank of gas for the weekend plus food) and as far as making the 1/4ly meetings I have tried to get tie off in the past but for me to make it out there I need to take a whole day off or I wil be sitting in traffic and most likely miss the meeting anyways. Other then that I have no other exucse exept sequias a jerk...

Back