• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side Exhaust

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I really want to do a nice clean side exahust on my XJ. There is a GC around where I live that has it and it looks so clean and sounds so mean.

Anyone on here done a clean job of a side exhaust with like a Dual tip coming out of the side? Any tips on what to and not to do?

As long as all you do is drive it on the street, otherwise you smash the exhaust on the trail.

exactly what do you mean by side exhaust?like on the trucks where the tips point out towards the side behind the tires? or like the older vettes where they had side pipes under the doors? if the first, you would have to cut and fold your quarters and run your exhaust over the spring to maintain decent clearance. if the latter, if you offroad in any way, you will smash it where it runs under the unibody. both are from experience.

my exhaust comes out right behind the pass side rear tire, i haven't smashed it on anything yet. you can kinda see it here.

263902_10150278282705135_588215134_8844454_6274846_n.jpg

In North Carolina, a side exhaust on an XJ will not pass safety inspection. The law states that in NC exhaust should only exit out behind the passenger compartment area... which is why they go out the back to begin with. If you had an MJ, you could get away with a side exhaust in front of the rear wheel because the passenger area ends at the back of the cab, but an XJ the whole thing is considered a passenger area. If you have a friend who can inspect it for you, you might get away with it, but a cop can still stop you and cite you for it if he wants to be ass. Just so you know before you spend too much on this.

I have decided that I am not going to worry about it....I looked at it last night and it would be too low anyways and would get smashed up pretty bad....I think I am just gonna work on getting some headers and a new downpipe instead and just have it coming out the back and exit right behind the rear axle

I'm planning to cut a hole through the frame on mine right in the front part of the rear wheel well and run the pipe out at the rear of my 2X6 rock rails. Of course I will reinforce the frame with some larger diameter tube welded into the frame. I am also thinking of installing a second cat in place of the muffler to keep the smog nazis at bay.

CATs need heat to work. I suspect that a CAT too far from the engine, and in series with another CAT in the exhaust will not work as thought out.

Back