• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you ID this roof Rack? Post pics of your rack please.

01yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, been searching all over the net and vendors. Does anyone know what this roof rack is called and the vendor?
Looking fro something like this for my XJ.

Its on the very bottom of this page:
http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone_install.php

And yes, I did try to email the company that makes my rear tire carrier (one in pic) but assume that is a customers ride.

Show me what you have as Im looking for ideas.
Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Can you ID this roof Rack?

if you look close at the rear of the aftermarket rack it actually curves and seems to have those sliders built into it. Trying to find a better picture of it.

Many roof sliders are custom made, especially if tied together with the rack. That one is still a seperate roof slider with tab mounts to bolt on the roof rack.

I believe there are some other kits for sale out there, but I can't find them at the moment. At least, you know what you are looking for now. :thumbup:

So can the members post their racks and what they like / dislike about them. Wanting to get one soon and would like to see what others have and think.
Thanks

I have the hd offroad engineering rack and love it. I replaced the crummy stock inserts in the roof with steel crush nuts that crimp onto the roof skin as you tighten them down. The rack is super stout now. And you can't get any closer to the roof (literally a few sheets of paper from the factory rails).
Next up is to fab a basket to go on top of it.

I have a Con Ferr Rack. I hate the wind noise, the decrease in gas mileage, and the height of it (my jeep BARELY squeezes into the garage). What I do like is being able to carry my spare up there, a highlift jack, 4 lights, and a ton of cargo. I usually throw the firewood up there to keep wood chips out of my trunk.

It's a love / hate relationship...

I have the Olympic rack shown in the pictures. It's ok. Just ok. It is not as sturdy as it seems, bolts together in many places, as opposed to welded in one piece, which I'm sure was done for shipping purposes.

The bars flex quite a bit if you stand on it. It does hold a decent amount of stuff, and the side rails do allow for tie downs. I bent one of the bars one time, but it wasn't the rack fault. That tends to happen when the toolbox you forgot about tied to the rack connects to the garage entrance in the airport parking lot. I was able, however, to straighten the bar fairly easily.

The rack was on the Jeep when I bought it. I wouldn't spend the money to replace it, but I probably would look for alternatives if I was in the market.

David Bricker / SYR

I have one of the Olympic racks, I like that I can leave the frame on top and remove the basket for clearance. I use u-bolts to attach the basket to the frame, I've never been able to get the bolts to line up with the tabs on the frame. I've refinished mine twice due to rust, I've had it for six or so years in the salt belt. Overall I do like the rack, just making it fit right was a pain.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.887790,-79.978722

I found me a used one. I might have mine welded into one to make it stronger, put hi lift tabs and some light tabs.
Anyone weld theirs? Pros / Cons?

I use the Kargo Master Safari rack. Works well and mounts are attached very strongly to the roof rack rails. While on the roof, I can change the overall width of the rack/basket by 10", by replacing the front and rear parts, as somehow I got both the narrow and wide set.

I bolted some Rotopax universal mounts to it, to be able to throw up there an extra 12 gallon of fuel and some water.

158745d1354549205t-98-xj-limited-search-rescue-build-imag0116.jpg

Looks a lot like a top-hat rack with another roof rack bucket welded or attached to the top of it.

Back