• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton Offroad XJ 8" Coil Conversion Long Arm Lift

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any experience with Clayton Offroad? Specifically with the XJ 8" Coil Conversion Long Arm Lift? I'm very interested in the kit, always wanted to do a coil spring conversion. Looking to run 35-37" tires so this kit seems to be one of the few choices. Any info would be greatly appreciated, couldn't really find much info by searching the forum. Thanks guys!

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_66/products_id/117

theres tons of lifts that will fit 35s and 37s. you dont need 8". but clayton is good stuff. depending on what you wheel you will probably be happier with a lower lift height though

as others seaid theres no reason for 8 inches of lift, right about 5-5.5 is about the highest I would go with as far as lift height is concerned. Clayton is a very good product and you should be more than satisfied with it!

Thanks, yeah I don't want to raise the COG up too high so I'll probably look really seriously at the 6.5" kit. Anyone know of any other good coil spring conversion kits or does anyone have any experience with a Clayton one?

What axles are you going to use? Stock wont hold up to 35s without shafts, none the less 37s. IMO clayton does make quality stuff though.

click photo for video

This is Clayton's 8 XJ coil conversion with a 1-inch spacer ...we used his pro series arms b/c they are longer than the arms in the kit so it could be stretched 3 inches in rear and have almost zero thread used ...it's swinging 40-boggers on a 60/14 bolt combo I've dumped it full weight on arms only scuffed them ...I have enough adjustment left to cut body more and move axles for 44's...This is the best XJ kit you can buy prefab.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_gtEfPLc0

Some youtube video...PitbullXJ ...the fully caged XJ from HOOLIGANS offroad mfg XJ is running an off the shelf Rock Krawler 6.5 coil conversion on 35' km2 ...locked super 30 front chromo rear 44. This kit can be installed with ZERO unibody welding . This was ...LOL...H.O.R.E'S first test on the XJ .

The big white one is me 1-tonxj ,and is all Clayton's and was first run out with new build very stable almost zero body roll ...Clayton's kit is not any more cash than RK'S but requires welding to uniframe ,so if you feel your welding skill is good to weld 1/4 steel to sheet metal then cost is same ,but if not install runs easily 3k ...However Clayton's kit off the shelf offers better geometry and more wb stretch ...These 2 kits are the best XJ kits out for coil conversion I had the coin for either I chose Clayton's b/c it was zero compromise .

Thanks, yeah I don't want to raise the COG up too high so I'll probably look really seriously at the 6.5" kit. Anyone know of any other good coil spring conversion kits or does anyone have any experience with a Clayton one?

whats a 1.5in difference gonna make haha people on here get so wrapped up on tall cherokees

whats a 1.5in difference gonna make haha people on here get so wrapped up on tall cherokees

I agree on the LCOG craze ,And My friends XJ is running 13-inches of lift with home made coil conversion on 39 iroks...yes it's tall but it's stable ,and that's 13 inches ,so I highly doubt 8.0 is tip over city ...he just bought a used Dynatrac front 60 to run 42's...uh-oh that's 1.25 of new lift ...he's going to instantly roll over when he stands on the slider getting in...lol.

There's really no need to have a super tall xj to fit big tires, so why go higher? I'm sure some people think it looks cool driving through puddles at the mall with 10 inches of lift, but there's no use for it offroad.

There's really no need to have a super tall xj to fit big tires, so why go higher? I'm sure some people think it looks cool driving through puddles at the mall with 10 inches of lift, but there's no use for it offroad.

I got 8.5 coils 2- spacer- stock isolators...sitting on top of hp d60 housing ...rear 7.0 zj coil giving 8.0 on an xj rear + 1 spacer sitting on top of 14 bolt tubes...XJ'S are short from the factory an 8.0 lift is like 2-4 on other suv's...

Here's a LCOG truggy at 3rd obstacle spring creek,co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlMk7-DgnSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiMx0uo1RY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

And my 10.0 lifted mall crawler obstacle ...lol...the 9-rated line is on tree line .click immage for video

Last edited:

ive tried all sorts of heights with my setup and theres a pretty significant difference. taller= more weight transfer. gets the frontend light on hillclimbs. my front end leaves the ground enough as it is. and of course theres the off camber argument. its not rocket science to understand that having as stable of a rig as possible is a benefit offroad

ive tried all sorts of heights with my setup and theres a pretty significant difference. taller= more weight transfer. gets the frontend light on hillclimbs. my front end leaves the ground enough as it is. and of course theres the off camber argument. its not rocket science to understand that having as stable of a rig as possible is a benefit offroad

I see Jeeps who take the LCOG thing overboard and play turtle every trip out ...you can take it 2 far in either direction ,and there's more to stability than lift height alone . It also needs to be understood that not all offroading favors super low minimum lift ,and even many trails in Colorado don't and they're certainly are not mud .

I would say to the O.P. , go 8.0 you can always bring it lower if it don't work for your trails/wheeling style .

Interesting discussion guys, thanks for the input!

I'm planning on running either a 44/8.8 or dana 60s if I can find any.

@ 1-tonxj, that thing is sweet!

1ton. Your argument on that spring creek obsitcal is weak. The line is all it takes there, I have been through there with a foot of snow!

Low is good.

Back