• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade to Aftermarket Axle (VERY large Budget)

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so the original plan was to just build up the pair of waggy 44's up with all the bells and whisles. But change of plans. My work has finally decided to pay me for all the overtime that I have worked over the past 5 years of employment :clap::clap::clap:. So that means I've got more than a few grand to blow and have decidied to purchase a completly built up HP Dana 44 with all the bells and whisles. (Chromoly shafts, best U-joints, Disc Brakes, 1 ton steering, ect. ect.ect.)

This will be front and rear axles. With a new Long arm kit for the front. All new Bilstiens new beadlock rims with 35's mounted to them. Also throwing in a new rear bumper. Also purchashing a Model JD2 32 bender for the roll cage that comes later.

Question for know is which brand to go with. As you can probaly figure out I know what I want in and around the axle, just need the opinion on the brand.

I know there is G2, Quadratrac, and a few others. What would you go with?

Oh ya- This is all going onto a 98 XJ with a 6.5" lift, Stock motor tranny and transfer. I might get a new crate motor, but that will be all the dinero gone at that point. Also throwing a couple grand towards my street bike as well. Figured I would get two of my toys alot further on there progress overnight and relieve alot of the pressure of waiting around for the next pay check to arrive.

Thanks for the Input in advance.

:cheers:

So...just in my opinion.

I would take some of the money and invest it in a welder, chop saw, drill press, and angle grinder.

I built pretty much my entire MJ so far on those things. Granted it was a learning curve, it was WELL worth the time invested.

As far as what brands to go with, you're opening a can of worms. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Hopefully not dana 30 outers, otherwise it would be a pretty big waste. I'm also going to have to agree with moparmaniac. Invest in some junkyard axles, and buy a decent 220 volt mig, and general metal working tools.

In my opinion building the jeep is half the fun.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52461_200X_PG.htm :)

If you're set on having someone build an axle for you then I'd consider having one of our sponsors build it for you.

I'd got with a HP44 cut down to Wagoneer width with waggy chromo shafts, ARB, CTMs, fancy outers and narrow a 9 for the back.

I agree with the Maniac. Shop around for brands. Let us know what you're thinking and we'll go from there.

talk to one of our vendors, Robert, from rawkhaus. You can find his info in the vendor forum-he can put together something for you.

i like how so far the general consensus is to buy a welder, tools, materials, & build beefy axles... & it's from those who reside on the east coast/NE:laugh:... coincidence??

...& x4, i would have to agree... if i had a few extra grand, i'd buy tools/welder/material to build my own shit... or maybe a down payment on a house with a garage, but that's neither here nor there...

to each their own... good luck brah:thumbup:

So...just in my opinion.

I would take some of the money and invest it in a welder, chop saw, drill press, and angle grinder.

I built pretty much my entire MJ so far on those things. Granted it was a learning curve, it was WELL worth the time invested.

As far as what brands to go with, you're opening a can of worms. Everyone will have their own opinion.
this, cept i build a xj with my shit, i forgot what 5spdxj had for a frt 44 but his old setup was wicked awsome

i'm going to say go with the tools too. i've built my entire xj, minus the cage, with my welder, drill press and angle grinder.

if you've got a few grand to throw at axles i'd just buy the big ticket items for some one tons like outer C's, knuckles, lockers, axles etc...

1 tons...all of the axles that reuse stock outers are a waste because thats the stuff that typically breaks first....id upgrade my dana 30 and buy tools before i bought one of those

or a house....jus sayin x's 2

I'd buy a nice welder and put the rest towards a house or something that will hold its value.

Blowing a ton of money on a 13-year-old car isn't going to feel very good in a few months. Just my .02 though.

my vote is for the fabrication tools and some JY axles then build them yourself.

but if you insist on buying built axles:

Currie RockJock 60's with alum housings.

but don't forget all the things that go with running big tires and big axles-
unibody platying, hydro assist steering, etc.
and roll cages are a good idea

Buy the currie hi 9 and rear nine. If you got the dough blow it all. The welder and tools and such aren't as expensive as the axles and such and are easier to buy with your saved lunch money. Just my opinion

Because the OP works so much OT that he doesn't have time to build his own, thus the reason he asked.

Buy the currie hi 9 and rear nine. If you got the dough blow it all. The welder and tools and such aren't as expe:cheers:nsive as the axles and such and are easier to buy with your saved lunch money. Just my opinion

Holy crap, I agree with bails85 in a tech forum, pretty close to dividing by zero...

Funny how the east coast all responded with build a 44 vs. West coast: build a 60; its the same price by the time its all said and done.

Your telling me there isn't a single decent sized rock east of the mississippi?

Back